One day in late June…
J: I just want to run away from it all
R: . . .
R: *raises eyebrow*
J: oh, with you of course
R: so when should we leave?
Sometimes, in lieu of an immediate departure from the daily grind, chocolate for breakfast is the only solution. No judgement if you make it again and call it dessert.
Vegan Chocolate Smoothie Bowl
Chocolate for breakfast is always a good idea — just don’t tell anyone how healthy it is.
- ½ c avocado
- ½ c frozen custard apple or frozen banana
- 1 – 3 Tbsp raw cacao
- ½ c oat, almond or coconut milk, divided
- 2 Tbsp seed and/or nut mix, toasted
- 1 Tbsp coconut cream
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
Blend avocado, custard apple and enough of the milk to make a thick smoothie (or a soft soft-serve). Stir through cacao to taste and blend once more, adding a bit more milk if it suits. Tip into serving bowl.
Toast seed & nut mix in a dry frying pan over medium heat, stirring regularly until just golden, cool completely. Top smoothie bowl with coconut cream and the toasted seeds.
- Want it sweeter? Use more banana, throw in a few dates, or add a spoonful of maple or rice syrup.
- My seed & nut mix included puffed quinoa, puffed amaranth, puffed rice, pepita seeds and flaked almonds.
vegan // vegetarian // dairy-free // gluten-free // soy-free // refined sugar-free // nut-free