The pace of life since we got back from Japan has been hectic at best and, while I’m not complaining about days filled with shooting food for everyone else, I haven’t made anything for this little corner of the internet since those Hot Cross Buns.
But I figure a new As Seen on Instagram recipe is still a recipe, and one pulled together from a nearly empty fridge and a few freezer staples is a winner in my book.
You see, for as brilliant as our trip was we still spent two weeks eating far too much dessert and street food and far too little fresh fruit and veg, and then topped it all off with an overnight flight home. Needless to say, within moments of walking in the door from the airport I needed nourishment.
Thank goodness we nearly always have frozen bananas and blueberries, and as luck would have it there was a half an avocado languishing in the frosty depths as well. When combined with the water and flesh from a young coconut that survived nearly a month in the fridge, and topped with some of that chocolate granola, it was the perfect welcome home.
Blueberry Coconut Smoothie Bowl
Purple food is good for you. And pretty, so pretty.
- ½ avocado, fresh or frozen
- 1 banana, preferably frozen
- ½ c frozen blueberries
- 1 c coconut water
- young coconut flesh, or shredded coconut in a pinch
- Chocolate Granola or Macadamia & Coconut Granola or a handful of pretty much anything else with a bit of crunch (optional but highly recommended)
Blend avocado, banana, berries and coconut water until thick and smooth.
Pour into a bowl and top with slices of young coconut flesh or unsweetened shredded coconut and a handful of granola.
- Did you know you can freeze avocados? Yep. But make sure they’re still edible first as the freezer won’t save a brown avo in the same way it does an overripe banana. If you use frozen avocado for your smoothie bowl will be thicker.
vegan // vegetarian // gluten-free // nut-free // dairy-free // soy-free // almost recipe // probably paleo