This isn’t a real recipe. Or really a real post. It is however how I eat on most days.
A few things thrown into a pan, wilted or crisped as appropriate. Tipped into a bowl and topped with a bit of fish or an egg.
Drizzled with some (generally hot) sauce. Eaten at the dining table because that’s where my computer sits.
Eating well doesn’t have to be complicated, really.
Green, Sardine & Quinoa Breakfast Bowl
Don’t get tied down buy the title, you could make this for lunch or dinner just as easily. And don’t be afraid of sardines, especially fresh ones, a touch of salt and pepper and a hot pan works wonders.
- 2 – 3 handfuls thinly sliced kale
- 1 c cooked quinoa
- 2 or 3 sardine fillets, fresh or frozen and just thawed
- 1/2 avocado, cubed
- 2 Tbsp bbq sauce or sriracha or pasta sauce
- salt & pepper to taste
Wilt kale in a medium-hot pan with a splash of water. Add quinoa and a drizzle of oil and saute for a few minutes until warm. Season to taste and tip into a bowl.
Drizzle a bit more oil into the pan (no need to wash it), place sardines flesh-side down and cover for 1 min. Flip and cook a further 20 seconds or so then place on quinoa kale mixture.
Top with avocado and sauce. Eat with a smile.
- Feel free to replace quinoa with leftover brown rice, crumbled cauliflower, freekah or whatever else is languishing in your fridge.
- In a pinch, substitute the fresh/frozen sardines with canned ones in spring water or olive oil. It’s up to you if you warm them first or just pop them on top.