Spiced Pear, Red Wine & Chocolate Cake

July 1, 2013

Spiced Red Wine, Chocolate & Pear Cake

I’m sorry, it was entirely unfair for me to wait this long to post this cake. Entirely.

It was baked and devoured back in April as part of a Seasonal Sunday Lunch feast and somehow is only now seeing the light of day.

Spiced Red Wine, Chocolate & Pear Cake

Remember this Drunken Chocolate Caramel Tart madness? This is that, but re-born into dark, rich cake. With spiced red wine poached pears. And a sticky red wine sauce.

And as I just got back from a girls weekend in the Hunter Valley a red wine infused dessert is so perfectly fitting. You’re welcome.

Spiced Red Wine, Chocolate & Pear Cake

Spiced Red Wine, Chocolate & Pear Cake

Tags: , , , , , , ,

24 Responses to Spiced Pear, Red Wine & Chocolate Cake

1. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on July 1, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Beautiful cake, I love the pears peeking through!

2. muppy on July 1, 2013 at 7:12 pm

this looks and sounds divine

3. Deepa Gopinath on July 1, 2013 at 8:28 pm

JJ this looks stunning! Gorgeous pics that just want to make me dive into that cake!

• JJ on July 2, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Thanks!

4. Sarah on July 1, 2013 at 11:43 pm

I loved all those pictures on Instagram of your weekend! Ain’t no party like a food bloggers party right? And this looks awesome.

• JJ on July 2, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Haha the amount of food and wine was pretty full on ;D

5. milkteaxx on July 2, 2013 at 10:15 am

what a simple rustic presentation! love it!

6. Christine @ Cooking Crusade on July 2, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Gorgeous looking cake JJ! Photos are so pretty :)

7. Claire @ Claire K Creations on July 2, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Three months you held back on cake?! Lucky it looks good enough to make up for it!

• JJ on July 2, 2013 at 4:17 pm

It’s about time someone showed righteous indignation about the delay ;D

8. Lisa the Gourmet Wog on July 3, 2013 at 12:21 am

Oh dear god. It’s past midnight and all I can think about is this cake! Midnight snack?! mmmmmmm looks fab

9. Amanda@ChewTown on July 3, 2013 at 9:51 am

That cake looks absolutely scrumptious! Love the wine inclusion – my kind of cake

10. foodienewz on July 5, 2013 at 8:53 pm

Your food photos are amazing. You can share your mouth watering photos with us at foodienewz.com. foodienewz.com is a new food sharing site and we actually try our best to promote your food photos. At foodienewz.com all your food photos will be published without any editorial review so I really hope you come and join us.

11. Our first official Seasonal Sunday Lunch! on July 6, 2013 at 3:34 pm

[...] Dessert: chocolate, pear & red wine tart [...]

12. Debbie on July 7, 2013 at 12:07 pm

I made these cakes… Smelled amazing! But my pears sank.. Oh we’ll, still a great recipe, thx!

• JJ on July 7, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Hi Debbie, I used pretty large pears so the quarters were pretty big – that said when they sink you get an extra surprise when the cakes are cut! Hope it was good :)

13. Zesty Five: June 30 – July 6 on July 8, 2013 at 3:00 pm

[...] Spiced Pear, Red Wine & Chocolate Cake [...]

14. Sharon on August 19, 2013 at 2:31 pm

Tried it last night & it was brilliant!! I’m sharing this recipe for sure, thank you SO much :D

15. Sharon on August 19, 2013 at 2:32 pm

Tried it this weekend & loved it :D
    Am sharing, thanks SO much !

16. yummylogy | Red Wine, Dark Chocolate & Pear Tart on August 19, 2013 at 4:15 pm

[...] http://84thand3rd.com/2013/07/01/spiced-pear-red-wine-chocolate-cake/#comment-18030 Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… This entry was tagged Caramel, Chocolate, dessert, Pear, Red Wine, Tart, Whiskey. Bookmark the permalink. [...]

17. [...] Spiced Pear Red Wine Chocolate Cake [...]

18. [...] business is just a waiting game until we get down to the real business, dessert. This week was a recipe that caught my eye back in November on Pinterest. I saw it and I fell hook, line and sinker. With [...]

19. Emma on September 16, 2014 at 3:59 am

Any idea how long this will keep? I want to make this but I’ll have to bake it at least a day in advance…

• JJ on September 17, 2014 at 9:55 pm

Hi Emma, It keeps well but the pears will separate slightly from the cake due to the moisture content. I’d suggest cooling completely on the counter then storing lightly covered in the fridge. Bring it back to room temp before serving!