Watermelon & Cucumber Salad with Tahini, Coconut & Lime Dressing

March 4, 2013

13-02-10_WatermelonSaladTahiniDressing

Oh summer, please don’t go. You’ve been nothing but a tease, an irritating teenager, and a raging lunatic for the past two years, but I keep hoping for a reasonable turn. Is it too much to ask for blue sky, reasonable beach temperatures and low humidity on a regular basis?

But I must admit, even through the hotter-than-an-oven days and the rain and the indecision, I still love you more than winter.

13-02-10_WatermelonSaladTahiniDressing

While the weather in Sydney has been schizophrenic at best this summer, the fruit has been spectacular. The cherries and stone fruit and melons and figs are not only pretty but have fabulous personalities – and have been making a regular path through our kitchen.

This salad was a random stroke of genius one morning a month or so ago – and a regular visitor with a multitude of variations ever since. If only my freezer was large enough to hold a few buckets of watermelon cubes I’d be set for the whole year…

13-02-10_WatermelonSaladTahiniDressing

What will you miss most when summer moves officially into hibernation for another year – or for that matter, if you are currently crawling out of the Northern Hemisphere winter, what are you looking forward to once spring has sprung?

~~~

13-02-10_WatermelonSaladTahiniDressing

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

16 Responses to Watermelon & Cucumber Salad with Tahini, Coconut & Lime Dressing

1. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on March 4, 2013 at 7:51 am

Oh this salad makes me crave summer! Can’t wait for watermelon season!

2. Tina @ bitemeshowme on March 4, 2013 at 8:23 am

Wow, this salad looks and sounds great. Watermelon is my favourite fruit so any recipes that call for it, I’m all in :) Looks beautiful! The colours are really grabbing my attention.

3. Hannah on March 4, 2013 at 11:16 am

Oh, this makes me so excited for the fact that winter will soon be ending here in Canada. I can’t take much more of snow and thermal underwear. I need summer fruit!

4. Tania @ The Cook's Pyjamas on March 4, 2013 at 11:21 am

I can’t wait to see the back of summer. I am more an autumn/spring lover myself. Just finished our hottest summer on record, and hot days still forecast. So the salad will be ideal. It looks lovely and fresh. Just what is needed for those hot evenings.

5. Kyrstie @ A Fresh Legacy on March 4, 2013 at 11:22 am

Stunning salad JJ. It looks fabulous and I am sure it tastes as good. Lovely and refreshing.

6. melissa darr on March 4, 2013 at 11:33 am

Yum – now that is my kind of salad. It will keep that tastes buds on there toes! So over this rainy weather up here in QLD!

7. Eha on March 4, 2013 at 2:09 pm

The ease of creating something magical like this in but minutes! Have never enjoyed a dressing quite on par :) ! Schizophrenic summer: tell me about it on the Southern Highlands and am glad the Bureau tells us it is autumn :D !

8. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on March 4, 2013 at 5:30 pm

I’m so reluctant to let summer go too! Although I love autumn summer produce is so glorious :D

9. Christine @ Cooking Crusade on March 4, 2013 at 9:44 pm

So sad to think that summer and its delicious fruits are over :( This is such a pretty looking salad and the flavours look so vibrant.. yum :)

10. Sara @bellyrumbles on March 5, 2013 at 5:54 pm

How vibrant and love the flavour combination, definitely a summer salad. I won’t miss summer at all, I am a spring and autumn girl at heart.

11. Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul on March 6, 2013 at 8:03 am

Loving your take on the watermelon salad JJ! And that dressing sounds divine! (and healthy too!)

12. Annie on March 9, 2013 at 8:14 am

You need to take part in a contest for one of the greatest blogs
    online. I am going to recommend this web site!

13. [...] explores seasonal produce and loves to invent new combinations like a mad-scientist, such as Watermelon & Cucumber Salad with Tahini, Coconut & Lime Dressing and Mushroom & Lentil [...]

14. Liz on June 25, 2013 at 3:49 am

A lovely recipe. Thank you and have a wonderful day!

15. Liz on July 10, 2013 at 7:57 am

Sounds and looks wonderful – thanks very much.

16. […]  | Shaved Fennel and Cabbage Slaw with Avo Mustard Dressing | Grated Salad with Eggs |  Watermelon and Cucumber Salad with Tahini Dressing | Warm Puy Lentil and Cavolo Nero Salad | Charred Broccoli Mexican Salad | Cumin-spiced Carrot […]