Fluffy Blueberry & Spelt Vegan Pancakes

May 13, 2012

12-05-06_SpeltVegBluePancakes

No matter how beautiful the view, it is always difficult living somewhere that is at least a 24hr trip away from family and friends. But it is always a bit more, obvious, when there’s happy news, difficult times, special occasions and holidays which would otherwise be spent with those who are far away.

Now on this weekend in many cities around the globe there are fun runs for Mother’s Day. Sydney has the MDC each year and RJ and I have done it off and on over time, but growing up my family would all troop down to Center City Philadelphia and take part in one that started and finished at the Art Museum. It was in the days before mobile phones were small enough to carry along while exercising – and ages before anyone would have even imagined texting, much less texting while in the middle of a run. You laugh, but the most frustrating thing about the last 9K RJ and I participated in was dodging the people talking or texting while jogging across the Sydney Harbour Bridge. Really? Really? Is what you have to say that important it can’t wait 45 mins? But I digress.

12-05-06_SpeltVegBluePancakes

Back when we would do the Philly Mother’s Day fun run, due to no transportable communication devices, it took nearly as long to find each other after everyone had finished as it did to run it in the first place. Somehow the ‘at the Museum steps third landing, on the right’ never included the details like ‘on the right as you are looking at the museum… or looking out at the street’, and ‘third landing from the top… or the bottom’ and although we always found each other in thousands of other lost people it was always an adventure.

FYI, yes, the steps to which I refer are the very same ones Rocky ran up. Someone gave a life-size bronze statue of Rocky to the Art Museum years later, it ended up outside one of the sports stadiums instead, suspicious, very suspicious, and just plain amusing if you ask me.

12-05-06_SpeltVegBluePancakes

Anyway, on to my point. If I lived remotely close to my mom and sister-in-law we would probably be doing a fun run today and afterwards I would make them these pancakes for Mother’s Day brunch. Instead I hope my brother gets up early and surprises both of them, baby under one arm and pancakes under the other. And with that, it would be remiss to not share the most recent photo that just came through of Ms G – she turns 1 in just a few weeks, from what I’ve heard if she were here in person she would be saying ‘hi’ to you all… or perhaps ‘toe’ but ‘hi’ is much more fitting.

12-05-06_SpeltVegBluePancakes

So to all those mums out there celebrating their first Mother’s Day, or their 50th, I send you moments of peace and quiet, a glass of wine and time to read a magazine, a cup of tea and delicious pancakes. To my mom, I love you, Happy Mother’s Day.

12-05-06_SpeltVegBluePancakes

12-05-06_SpeltVegBluePancakes

This post has been entered in the NerdWallet Mother’s Day contest.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to Fluffy Blueberry & Spelt Vegan Pancakes

1. Nic@diningwithastud on May 13, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Beautiful post JJ :) x

2. lauren and nate and grace on May 14, 2012 at 2:16 am

Your brother did wake up and make me breakfast!!! But now I want these pancakes too, he promised he would make them next weekend. Miss you guys and hope you are doing well

3. Purabi Naha on May 14, 2012 at 1:58 pm

I just saw this picture on Foodgawker and couln’t stop appreciating!! The recipe is great and I am determined to try this now!!!

4. Katherine Martinelli on May 15, 2012 at 7:06 am

So sweet! It’s definitely hard to be so far from home at times like this. These pancakes look SO good!

5. brenda on May 15, 2012 at 12:36 pm

Thanks. Loved reading your post and remembering. Love you, too. Mom

6. Peter G | Souvlaki ForThe Soul on May 15, 2012 at 9:27 pm

A beautiful post JJ!

7. lauren and nate and grace on May 28, 2012 at 12:52 pm

We made these yesterday and they were delicious! We used strawberries in some since they are in peak season. Gracie was a big fan.

8. Jacqualine Heep on June 11, 2012 at 6:20 am

My special veggie recipe is creamy broccoli soup. In these days i cooked for my best 4 neighbors. They really like my vegan meals.

9. Jennifer on July 17, 2012 at 1:10 am

These were very tasty! I wish mine came out as pretty as yours though:).

10. melissa darr on February 12, 2013 at 9:01 am

What a perfect pancake recipe! I love spelt flour used like this. If makes such a fluffly pancake!

11. Spelt has got it going on | Ou ma colère va on March 17, 2013 at 10:48 pm

[...] breakfast, which I was going to. Instead for imagining what they looked like look at the recipe on 84th&3rd. Mine were a lot less neat. By a considerable margin. However, yo can’t see them, because [...]

12. Mother’s Day Your Way Contest Winners on June 7, 2013 at 8:44 am