Green Smoothie bowls are a regular visitor to my breakfast table (who am I kidding, there is no table in this equation, I eat breakfast standing up in the kitchen as I prep for shoots, or sitting at my desk while editing photos… but that’s another story altogether).
Not only do I quite enjoy them but they’re a great way to get a huge quantity of veg into the start of the day — and eating a green smoothie with a spoon instead of drinking it from a glass serves a dual purpose.
If the smoothie is not entirely smooth (I’m looking at you kale, even though you’re not in this recipe you know what I’m talking about) I can’t drink it, but eating with a spoon seems to negate the texture issue for me.
Plus, when its served in a bowl the topping options are endless, and I’m a huge fan of smoothies with all sorts of bits and pieces piled on top.
This bowl specifically has been boosted even further with roasted sweet potato, and a crunchy hit comes from the addition of toasted muesli and a handful of nuts. If you wanted to add fruit, diced apple, strawberries or orange would work brilliantly. Ready, set, go!
Green Smoothie, Sweet Potato & Granola Bowl
- 1 large handful baby spinach
- ½ orange, peeled
- 1 thin-skinned cucumber
- ½ avocado, divided
- ½ cup roasted sweet potato cubes
- ½ cup toasted muesli or granola
- 2 tsp bee pollen, optional
Blend baby spinach and the orange until very smooth. Add cucumber and half the avocado and blend again. Thin smoothie with water, juice or milk of choice if desired.
Tip smoothie into a bowl, top with roasted sweet potato, granola, bee pollen and remaining avocado.
- Slice up the other half of the orange, dice some apple or add a few strawberries to the bowl toppings if you’re craving fruit.
- If you can’t find a thin-skinned cucumber (ie Lebanese), peel before blending.
- The toasted muesli I had in the cupboard was loaded with puffs and seeds but no nuts so I added a few cashews too.
- Smoothie can be enriched with a scoop of pea protein powder, or sweetened with half a banana.
vegan // vegetarian // gluten-free // dairy-free // refined sugar-free // nut-free // soy-free