Gingerbread Syrup

December 21, 2013

Gingerbread Syrup

It’s always the unexpected things that get a reaction. A random burger, a stunningly odd pie crust, a unique ice cream recipe, and in this case a completely last minute extra Secret Santa Gift.

Gingerbread Syrup

I had made Gingerbread Biscotti for my Foodie Secret Santa recipients and it could have been enough, but then Gingerbread Syrup popped into my head and simply wouldn’t budge. I made it, not knowing what to expect, figuring that if it was awful the cookies would have to suffice.

Gingerbread Syrup

I threw it together in five minutes early one morning before a meeting. Left it to steep as it cooled. Took a tentative taste and briefly contemplated not sending it but hording it all for myself. Have I mentioned I love gingerbread?

This stuff is seriously good. Seriously. But that didn’t stop me from worrying just a little — perhaps the Gingerbread Syrup would be a bit too strong, a bit too American, a bit to Starbucks — but it went well with the biscotti and looked adorable in little jars so I figured I may as well send it along in the gift packs.

Gingerbread Syrup

It was undoubtedly the biggest hit you can imagine and everyone has been chasing the recipe since they discovered I had sent it to them. Good thing one of my recipients is American, one a huge gingerbread fan and the third has just been eating it with a spoon — ha!

Who knew?! And it would be terribly cruel to make you wait any longer.

Gingerbread Syrup

Between cookies, truffles, biscotti, pie ice cream and now syrup I’ve been on fire this past week or so. It’s bound to continue right up until Christmas (with at the very least another truffle recipe, a Christmas craft and maybe even a cookbook peek). At which stage I may simply pass out and not touch a computer or camera until next year. (Yeah right.)

In the meantime, pour some syrup on me.

(Name that album, extra points if you can guess on which birthday I got the cassette tape. Yes cassette tape, I also had a side-ponytail and many a sequined shirt. There are photos that should never see the light of day.) In other news, delirious.

Gingerbread Syrup

Gingerbread Syrup

Tags: , , , , , ,

9 Responses to Gingerbread Syrup

1. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on December 21, 2013 at 11:33 am

Love the sound of this gingerbread syrup! It sounds very versatile, like you could use it on pancakes as well as in drinks. Is it Pour Some Sugar On Me by Def Leppard? :P

2. Claire @ Claire K Creations on December 21, 2013 at 3:59 pm

I’m thinking I’ll mix a little into the filling for my cinnamon rolls for Christmas morning. I haven’t wanted to use any until I had the recipe but I have stuck my finger in many times already! Thanks so much JJ!

3. Kyrstie @ A Fresh Legacy on December 21, 2013 at 4:02 pm

Hi JJ, thanks for the syrup and recipe. It is gloriously gingery and delicious! I hope there is enough of it left in my jar to try it all the ways you suggest. I do like Lorraine’s idea of adding it to pancakes too. I also have some earmarked to use with rhubarb from my garden. I’m not sure how yet exactly but it will come to me :-) Looking forward to reading about the cookbook and all of the other things you have been up to. Enjoy your Christmas and thanks again. x

4. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on December 21, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Oh I would definitely eat this with a spoon! Or pour it over cinnamon ice cream… ;)

5. Lizzy (Good Things) on December 22, 2013 at 9:05 am

JJ, this syrup sounds totally divine! Love it! Wishing you a happy Christmas and season’s eatings!

6. Helen (Grab Your Fork) on December 24, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Such a gorgeous idea!

7. laurasmess on December 24, 2013 at 1:20 pm

Oh my gosh, JJ this sounds delicious! I wish I read your recipe a few days ago as I would’ve totally knocked up a few batches of this as Christmas presents. Yum… definitely going to make some regardless. I hope that you and your family have a blessed and wonderful Christmas xx

8. Julie on February 10, 2014 at 8:48 am

Just wondering JJ how long this wonderful syrup would keep, unopened ? Would it be like jam do you think? Thank you, your latest drooling follower from Brisbane, Australia

• JJ on February 10, 2014 at 9:00 pm

Hi Julie – good to have you here! I’d imagine it would keep for ages as it is really just a sugar syrup. If you do cool it with the ginger pieces infusing I’d bring it back to a simmer after fishing them out and before bottling. :)