My SRC assignment for October was Baking and Creating with Avril and as usual I was spoilt for choice.
I took to her side-bar tags for inspiration and the first thing to catch my eye was a Pumpkin Swirl Bread, however as I’ve been a bit heavy handed with the pumpkin lately I figured I’d simply bookmark it for later.
Her Stuffed Tomatoes were also tempting — and may well show up with a vegetarian twist once summer produce kicks in — but there was no resisting an easy breakfast shake.
A bit of fruit, some protein and a fancy decoration on the glass made for the perfect post-yoga-followed-by-a-run-I-must-be-crazy breakfast. Yummmm or ohmmmmm or ouchhhhhh as the case may be.
Tahini & Raspberry Power Breakfast Shake
Tahini and raspberry is one of my favourite combos from the 100+ alternatives to PB&J list and so it stood to reason that it would be just as good in a milkshake as it is on toast. (Inspired by Baking and Creating with Avril)
Serves: 1 – 2
- 1 frozen banana, see notes below for alternatives
- 1 1/2 Tbsp unhulled tahini
- 1/4 c frozen raspberries
- 1 1/2 c cold milk or milk-like substance, I used a mix of almond and coconut milk
- 4 ice cubes
Blend milkshake ingredients until thick and frothy, adding more or less milk as you wish. Pour into glass and top with a few raspberries.
- Decorate the glass: make raspberry puree by mashing fresh or thawed frozen raspberries through a sieve to remove seeds. Drizzle inside glass with a bit of extra tahini.
- If not opposed to dairy, replace banana with 1/2 c natural yoghurt frozen into a cubes.
- If feeling naughty, replace banana with 1/2 ice cream, because you can.
vegan // vegetarian // gluten-free // low-sugar // nut-free // soy-free
For those keeping score, yes, we totally own a milkshake maker. It was a wedding gift many moons ago and while it isn’t used nearly as much any more — due to a healthy immersion blender obsession — I do love it so.