Moroccan Lamb Shanks & Gremolata

June 9, 2013

Moroccan Lamb Shanks

There is something wonderfully satisfying about a slow cooked stew in winter. Given, I don’t eat this one myself but every now and then RJ asks for it by name and I simply can’t resist.

I’ve mentioned before that I’m a veg-aquarian and, until very recently, it’s been roughly 15 years since I’ve eaten meat. However the consumption of meat has always been a texture / flavour / heath issue for me, never an ethical one, and I really enjoy cooking with it. We do try to buy organic and sustainable meats though.

Moroccan Lamb Shanks

As a side note one of the only seafood items I won’t eat is swordfish… mercury content aside it has the stringy, dare I say meaty, texture that is the exact reason I don’t eat meat. But I digress.

This has been a classic recipe of mine for quite a while and the flavours are simply magical. I usually make two batches, one for the carnivore with lamb and a vegetarian version for me with homemade seitan and sweet potato.

Moroccan Lamb Shanks

Obviously this is the meaty one only, indicated by the big’ol bone if you haven’t noticed.

Slow cooked lamb shanks are not a dish you make in small portions so unless you have a large family or are cooking for a Seasonal Sunday Lunch feast make sure there is plenty of room in the fridge or freezer for the leftovers. This stew does however taste even better the next day, so leftovers – or even cooking it ahead of time – are very good news.

Moroccan Lamb Shanks

Tags: , , , , ,

6 Responses to Moroccan Lamb Shanks & Gremolata

1. Monica on June 10, 2013 at 3:13 pm

It’s definitely time to get the slow cooker or giant cast iron pots out isn’t it? These lamb shanks look amazing :) I bet the veges that are cooked along with the shanks would taste great with the gremolata and mash anyway. Must cook some up soon.

2. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on June 11, 2013 at 8:51 am

Your lamb looks meltingly tender, love the flavors!

3. Tina @ bitemeshowme on June 11, 2013 at 9:10 am

This looks beautiful! Love the colours on the plate – it looks too pretty to even eat!

4. milkteaxx on June 11, 2013 at 12:36 pm

that lamb shank looks so tender and deliicious, i am tempted to lick my screen! and such lovely photos!

5. juliana loh @bilbaobab on June 14, 2013 at 2:03 pm

YUMMM this looks and sounds amazing. I’m inspired to do some slow cooked lamb this weekend! thanks for sharing the lovely recipe!

6. Caroline Hind on June 27, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Hi JJ, I cooked these this week, and they were delicious! Thanks for sharing the lovely recipe. :)