Gluten Free Quinoa & Buckwheat Skillet Bread

February 28, 2013

12-12-04_QuinoaBuckwheatBread

And there it was again, a very happy “I wonder what would happen if… ” accident. Somehow quinoa flour does that in my kitchen, first it was tortillas, then a chocolate crumble crust and now bread.

But in the midst of making this at least once a week for the past three months I’ve neglected to share it with you. Shame on me.

12-12-04_QuinoaBuckwheatBread

This is ‘Emergency Bread‘ at its best. Less than 20 minutes start to finish and gluten free to boot. Crumbly, light, slice-able. The only thing I haven’t yet tried is making a bigger batch and baking it in a loaf pan…

12-12-04_QuinoaBuckwheatBread

On the day I took the photos I ate torn off wedges of the bread with a hard goat cheese, Rhubarb & Apple Spread and some apple slices – but it has made an appearance with everything from Crab Scrambled Eggs for breakfast, to Shiitake Bacon for lunch – and even garlic bread for dinner.

I do love a good happy accident.

12-12-04_QuinoaBuckwheatBread

Ooh, one more thing, a few months back Martyna asked if I would contribute a recipe to a new e-cookbook she was putting together. The book, Guilt Free Desserts, was released on Monday!

It is simply gorgeous and packed full of gluten-free // vegan // soy-free // refined sugar-free – yet absolutely decadent – desserts, you must check it out. If you get the book make sure to keep an eye out for my Quinoa Apple Crumble contribution, I developed the recipe over the holiday season and it made a perfect guilt free dessert for Christmas lunch!

12-12-04_QuinoaBuckwheatBread

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

29 Responses to Gluten Free Quinoa & Buckwheat Skillet Bread

1. Tania @ The Cook's Pyjamas on February 28, 2013 at 11:26 am

Love it. I am becoming much more interested in things I can cook in a frypan given it is far too hot to turn on the oven. Will add this to the list.

2. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on February 28, 2013 at 11:53 am

20 minutes to fresh bread?! I love it!

3. Martyna @ Wholesome Cook on February 28, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Great idea! I’m a bit of a lazy cook when it comes to bread… feeding the starter for weeks, waiting for bread to rise, etc – sadly I have little patience and travel away too often. This is perfect. Quick and tasty I bet. Thanks for the eBook mention too, it was great having you onboard and that recipe is delicious!

4. john | heneedsfood on March 1, 2013 at 9:59 am

This is such a nice idea. Soft, earthy and perfect with cheeses and even prosciutto!

5. Kristine on March 1, 2013 at 3:37 pm

Hi there. Love the idea of this recipe – I’ve been experimenting lately with buckwheat so am happy to have another way to try using it.

I do have a quick non-food blog question, if you don’t mind answering it. I like the photo mosaics you used in this post. I’m curious how you made them? Did you do it in WordPress or did you create them using a separate program?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

• JJ on March 2, 2013 at 12:55 am

Hi Kristine, I don’t mind at all! I edit my pics and watermark in Lightroom but create the collages and apply any text in Picasa. More complex stuff like the How To’s and Calendars are done in Illustrator :)

6. Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy on March 1, 2013 at 4:06 pm

I just sent this to my gluten-free friend who I know will love it. Actually, I am not gluten free and I think I will make it too! Looks awesome with the cheese….

7. Amanda@ChewTown on March 1, 2013 at 4:13 pm

This bread looks spectacular. Like Anna, I too have sent it to a gluten-free friend. I can’t wait to try it.

8. zosia on March 2, 2013 at 11:09 am

Do you think it would be possible to make a skillet/quickbread like this grain-free?

Hmm…

• JJ on March 2, 2013 at 3:16 pm

Hi Zosia, I’m not sure but you could certainly try! Perhaps a combo of almond, chestnut and arrowroot or tapioca would work? Please let me know if you try it out!

9. GourmetGetaways on March 2, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Oh it looks so yummy and perfect! Well done :)

10. U Rock Girl on March 3, 2013 at 7:08 am

S glad I stumbled upon your website. This bread looks fantastic. I can’t wait to try it out, especially since I’m looking for more GF recipes.

11. Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul on March 3, 2013 at 9:39 am

Love a good skillet bread. Your creativity knows no bounds! Brilliant yet again!

12. Lorene Frisbie on March 5, 2013 at 8:41 am

sounds great! do yo happen to know the nutritional data? I’m eating low carb, thanks!

13. ARups on April 10, 2013 at 6:18 am

Have you tried with egg replacer in the vegan attempt, or just no egg at all?

• JJ on April 12, 2013 at 10:14 am

Hi, the vegan attempt mentioned in the recipe was no egg at all and it ended up far too dense, would love to hear how it goes with egg replacer.

• Maria Farquharson on June 30, 2013 at 2:14 pm

Beore I have tryed using one Tbsp. of flaxmeal plus three Tbsp. of water as a substitute for one egg. I will try it in this recipe and let you know how it went

14. chrystelle on May 14, 2013 at 9:00 am

well done! I’ve just tried it but with chickpeas and buckwheat. Wasn’t crumbly but really….soft. But it was still good with salted butter and cheese. Thanks

• JJ on January 3, 2014 at 11:19 am

Interesting! Chick Pea flour does create a very different consistency on things. Glad you enjoyed it :)

15. [...] quick and easy skillet bread recipe using Quinoa and Buckwheat flour from 84thand3rd.com you can make for breakfast. [...]

16. Sadaf Iqbal on August 15, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Hi, is the batter supposed to be runny or dough like.

• JJ on August 15, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Hi Sadaf, it is like a thick pancake batter, you can see it in the image above :)

17. Jenee on January 3, 2014 at 4:41 am

This looks awesome! Have you tried any other flours besides quinoa in this recipe? I don’t normally keep it on hand so I’m wondering how it would work with a gf blend, do you have recommendations? I think I might just try it anyways… :)

• JJ on January 3, 2014 at 11:20 am

I tend to stick with quinoa and buckwheat on this (I don’t do gf blends as most have soy flour in them) but I’d imagine that it would work well. Please let me know if you try it!

18. Skillet Bread | jcooksglutenfree on January 14, 2014 at 1:57 pm

[...] been wanting to try this recipe for a while, but I don’t ever have quinoa flour. (Where do you even get that? Or can you just [...]

19. Toni on February 9, 2014 at 1:40 pm

I was just wondering – Did you use a nonstick skillet or did you use a little oil in it?

• JJ on February 10, 2014 at 8:57 pm

Hi Toni, the recipe notes to lightly spray your pan with oil. I used a non-stick but a well seasoned cast iron would work well too. Of course you can brush with oil instead of spraying it.