Gluten Free Quinoa & Buckwheat Skillet Bread

12-12-04_QuinoaBuckwheatBread

And there it was again, a very happy “I wonder what would happen if… ” accident. Somehow quinoa flour does that in my kitchen, first it was tortillas, then a chocolate crumble crust and now bread.

But in the midst of making this at least once a week for the past three months I’ve neglected to share it with you. Shame on me.

12-12-04_QuinoaBuckwheatBread

This is ‘Emergency Bread‘ at its best. Less than 20 minutes start to finish and gluten free to boot. Crumbly, light, slice-able. The only thing I haven’t yet tried is making a bigger batch and baking it in a loaf pan…

12-12-04_QuinoaBuckwheatBread

On the day I took the photos I ate torn off wedges of the bread with a hard goat cheese, Rhubarb & Apple Spread and some apple slices – but it has made an appearance with everything from Crab Scrambled Eggs for breakfast, to Shiitake Bacon for lunch – and even garlic bread for dinner.

I do love a good happy accident.

12-12-04_QuinoaBuckwheatBread

Ooh, one more thing, a few months back Martyna asked if I would contribute a recipe to a new e-cookbook she was putting together. The book, Guilt Free Desserts, was released on Monday!

It is simply gorgeous and packed full of gluten-free // vegan // soy-free // refined sugar-free – yet absolutely decadent – desserts, you must check it out. If you get the book make sure to keep an eye out for my Quinoa Apple Crumble contribution, I developed the recipe over the holiday season and it made a perfect guilt free dessert for Christmas lunch!

12-12-04_QuinoaBuckwheatBread

Comments

1. says

Great idea! I’m a bit of a lazy cook when it comes to bread… feeding the starter for weeks, waiting for bread to rise, etc – sadly I have little patience and travel away too often. This is perfect. Quick and tasty I bet. Thanks for the eBook mention too, it was great having you onboard and that recipe is delicious!

2. says

Hi there. Love the idea of this recipe – I’ve been experimenting lately with buckwheat so am happy to have another way to try using it.

I do have a quick non-food blog question, if you don’t mind answering it. I like the photo mosaics you used in this post. I’m curious how you made them? Did you do it in WordPress or did you create them using a separate program?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

• JJ says

Hi Kristine, I don’t mind at all! I edit my pics and watermark in Lightroom but create the collages and apply any text in Picasa. More complex stuff like the How To’s and Calendars are done in Illustrator :)

• JJ says

Hi Zosia, I’m not sure but you could certainly try! Perhaps a combo of almond, chestnut and arrowroot or tapioca would work? Please let me know if you try it out!

• JJ says

Hi, the vegan attempt mentioned in the recipe was no egg at all and it ended up far too dense, would love to hear how it goes with egg replacer.

• Maria Farquharson says

Beore I have tryed using one Tbsp. of flaxmeal plus three Tbsp. of water as a substitute for one egg. I will try it in this recipe and let you know how it went

3. chrystelle says

well done! I’ve just tried it but with chickpeas and buckwheat. Wasn’t crumbly but really….soft. But it was still good with salted butter and cheese. Thanks

4. says

This looks awesome! Have you tried any other flours besides quinoa in this recipe? I don’t normally keep it on hand so I’m wondering how it would work with a gf blend, do you have recommendations? I think I might just try it anyways… :)

• JJ says

Hi Toni, the recipe notes to lightly spray your pan with oil. I used a non-stick but a well seasoned cast iron would work well too. Of course you can brush with oil instead of spraying it.

5. Beth says

Love this recipe! I have made this quite a few times. It’s very delicious and easy! Thank you so much for sharing. Have you tried baking in a muffin tin or making sandwich rounds?

6. Sylvia says

Thank you ! I didn’t have any Quinoa flour so I tried it with Coconut flour.
    The batter came out a little thick so I added Almond Milk until I had a pancake like mix.
    It is still very good! I also added Cinnomon and used Coconut oil in the pan! I will have to get Quinoa flour next time and see what it taste like.

• JJ says

Hi Sylvia – thanks for letting me know that this works. Coconut flour behaves very differently to quinoa flour so I’m glad it turned out for you! ~ JJ

Trackbacks