Sriracha – Roasted Chili Sauce

February 14, 2013

DSC_9216-500-w-txt

I’m a fan of spontaneity and random romance and catching the eye of your crush across a room. I’m not a fan of corny cards and cheap chocolate and ridiculous expectations.

In short, while I do love love, I’m not a fan of Valentine’s Day.

13-02-05_Sriracha

Don’t get me wrong, I adore a heart shaped cookie and bright red cake as much as the next person but the pressure and expectations and commercialism of February 14 bothers me.

So it is not particularly surprising that on this day I give you spice and heat instead of sugar and frills.

DSC_9258-500-w

Now did you know that for the first four months of this blog there wasn’t a single recipe post? There was a bit of food, a few random observations, and one fashion rant that still gets hits from Google – although it’s probably not quite the encouragement people are looking for when searching ‘tanks with big arm holes‘… but no recipes.

Then two years ago on this very day my first creation appeared – Spicy Chili Sauce in honour of St Valentine.

DSC_9200-500-w

Last year I kept with the spice theme but in the form of a Spiced Cherry Pie and a nod to Lupercalia. And now another Valentine’s Day has rolled around and I figured it was the perfect opportunity to not only tweek my Sriracha recipe slightly but post new photos.

If nothing else it is an amusing demonstration on how far my photography has come…

BEST38-500-w

Then, during the preparation of this post and lets be honest, in a fit of procrastination-driven-creativity, I found myself searching for a quote about love and spice.

I wandered aimlessly through the internet before getting lost in Story People. I read and re-read the stories one by one, remembering how RJ and I would leaf through the books in the very early days of our relationship and laugh at the raw, insightful sayings and whimsical drawings. A good friend even gave us this one for a wedding gift.

But still no quote about love and spice could be found.

DSC_9247-1-500-w

So I made one up myself.

A bit of spice and love, inspired by Story People, wrapped in a heart because it looked better than a chili…

Sriracha-SpicyLove

…and it was there, between the sparks & spice & bright flashes of magic… the smoldering love that fed their souls.

With that, whether you love or loathe Valentine’s Day, I hope your life is full of heat and passion and brilliant surprises. And lots of chili sauce.

DSC_9290-1-500-w

Now please excuse me while I go catch RJ’s eye across a room, I still have a crush on him after all these years.

A funny thing happened on the way to the cleanup. I was portioning this out to freeze and looked down at the jar, half empty with one of our everyday spoons sticking out.

DSC_9317-500-w

It just worked, so back to the table it went and this is what I ended up with. I think it may be one of my favourite shots of the day. Isn’t that always the way.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to Sriracha – Roasted Chili Sauce

1. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on February 14, 2013 at 7:59 am

What a great condiment, I love the color!

• JJ on February 18, 2013 at 12:02 pm

Cheers Laura, every time I make it I’m surprise how brilliantly (luridly) red-orange it comes out!

2. Katherine Martinelli on February 14, 2013 at 8:10 am

I’m with you on the whole vday thing. And I love sriracha! This looks amaaaazing

• JJ on February 18, 2013 at 12:01 pm

hee hee thanks Katherine

3. john | heneedsfood on February 14, 2013 at 9:59 am

Yeah, I can already see some girls in an office, keeping one eye on the door and waiting for a flower courier to walk through with a box of roses. Yawn. A jar of chilli sauce is so much more exciting!

4. Tina @ bitemeshowme on February 14, 2013 at 10:33 am

I love sriaracha. I’ve eaten it with nearly every dinner meal at home and can’t live without it. And I cannot believe you made your own! WOW! I am so impressed.

5. GourmetGetaways on February 14, 2013 at 11:44 am

What cute story! I love it :)
    Mr GG still lights my fire too ;)
    I can’t wait to try this recipe, I have so many Chillies growing in the garden at the moment :)
    Happy Valentines Day xx

6. Eha on February 14, 2013 at 12:43 pm

I haven’t been able to find sriracha in my neck of the woods! Yippee for the recipe, now I can make my own. Easy-peasy method and it will be fresh to boot!! Thanks heaps! Am the biggest romantic in the world, but red roses because of a date: no thanks !!!

• JJ on February 18, 2013 at 12:03 pm

Exactly, hope you enjoy the sauce!

7. melissa darr on February 14, 2013 at 12:52 pm

Yes I so know what you mean about the whole HYPE of valentines day! Chilli sauce is way better than a box of chocolates in my book!

8. Claire @ Claire K Creations on February 14, 2013 at 12:57 pm

I’m so torn with Valentine’s Day. I really hate how commercialised it is but at the same time I love an excuse to be extra indulgent (we’re having chocolate mud cake for dessert on a Thursday!). Really I’m a walking contradiction.
    I’d quite happily receive a jar of chili sauce!

• JJ on February 18, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I’m with you – any excuse for indulgence is a good one ;) And homemade negates a bit of the hype, right?!

9. Phuoc'n Delicious on February 14, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Look at that intense colour! AMAZING! Thanks for the recipe, I’ll have to make it some time. I’m on the same boat as you, I love love but don’t like the commercialism of Hallmark Day. Instead of buying cards and buying gifts, I like to make them, comes from the heart.

10. Jane @ Shady Baker on February 14, 2013 at 2:18 pm

Very cool and clever JJ! The colour in your sauce is incredible! I like the photo with capsicums and chilies in the muffin pan too…simple and effective :)

• JJ on February 18, 2013 at 12:05 pm

thanks Jane, I like how that one came out too

11. Lorraine @ Not Quite Nigella on February 14, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Hehe snap JJ! I also made chilli sauce-it must be all of the gorgeous chillies at the moment :) Yours looks divine and love the packaging!

12. katriina @ FinSkis on February 14, 2013 at 7:08 pm

Beautiful! I think I may need to make this with my beautiful, full red chillies growing in my garden at the moment :) Just a beautiful post!

13. brenda hayes on February 15, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Your writing and your cooking and your creations all amaze me. And the poetry…wow!!!Lady of many talents.

14. Torie on February 15, 2013 at 9:56 pm

This is definitely my kind of recipe How delicious and a great gift for any chilli addict. I would love to receive something like this ;o). Great post. Best Torie

15. Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul on February 16, 2013 at 11:12 am

Loving the colour and recipe JJ! Much better than flowers for sure!

16. Tina @foodfortina on February 17, 2013 at 10:27 am

Yes I highly agree with you the Valentine’s Day comment you had!! And beautiful recipe, I really love Sriracha, thanks for sharing! :)

17. Sara @bellyrumbles on February 18, 2013 at 9:41 pm

How is that gorgeous colour of the sriracha. Something I have never even contemplated attempting to make at home. Why? Not sure. I agree with you regarding your Valentine sentiments.

18. ordenadores portatiles apple mac on July 30, 2013 at 11:20 am

This post will help the internet users for building up new website or
    even a weblog from start to end.

19. dressage horses for sale on September 19, 2013 at 6:12 am

This is my first time pay a quick visit at here and i
    am genuinely pleassant to read everthing at one
    place.

20. […] Sriracha Roasted Chili Sauce via 84th and 3rd […]

21. […] (via 84th&3rd | Sriracha – Roasted Chili Sauce) […]

22. dragon city wiki breeding list on May 14, 2014 at 9:17 pm

I think this is one of the most vital information for me.
    And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things,
    The web site style is perfect, the articles is really
    excellent : D. Good job, cheers