Lamington Cupcakes & Chocolate Fudge Glaze

January 24, 2013

12-08-05_LamingtonCupcakes

For the number of desserts that get shared here most of them are whole grain or gluten free, many are vegan, and almost all are refined sugar free. This isn’t a bad thing by any means and as much as I love the challenge of flipping recipes, sometimes I just want to make something classic and naughty.

For a while I was making cakes for other people and got to stretch my chocolate-peanut-butter-meringue-raspberry-sauce-cream-cheese-dulce-de-leche-more-chocolate baking muscles on a regular basis – but it’s been slow for a bit.

When RJ saw a Lamington Cake at a cafe recently and said ‘hey, could you make that?‘ I paused only long enough to give him my well practiced ‘are you kidding, of course‘ look before deciding that I needed to do just that for a BBQ we were attending the following day.

12-08-05_LamingtonCupcakes

I’d been wanting to try out this ultimate vanilla cupcake recipe for quite a while and the impending barbeque was the perfect excuse, but you can use any vanilla cake recipe you choose for these Lamington Cupcakes.

If you are wondering, the one I tried was ok – and you could certainly use it without issue – but I’d recommend my Cosmo Cupcake base instead, simply replacing the juices with milk and adding a bit of extra vanilla. One day I’ll post my own Perfect Vanilla Cupcake recipe here… best hurry up and invite us to a BBQ or birthday celebration so I can make it – haha!

Australia Day is in just a few days time and this quick and easy twist on an Aussie classic is perfect for a long-weekend celebration. If you decided to make them using a gluten-free, vegan, no refined sugar vanilla cake base I won’t hold it against you… but I’d love the recipe, nudge, nudge, wink, wink.  Whatever you get up to, best wishes for a Happy Australia Day!

12-08-05_LamingtonCupcakes

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

17 Responses to Lamington Cupcakes & Chocolate Fudge Glaze

1. Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul on January 24, 2013 at 8:16 am

I love lamingtons anything! Great job on the cupcakes too…now I need to invite you over!

• JJ on January 29, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Sounds good to me – good company is always an excuse to make cake!

2. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on January 24, 2013 at 9:53 am

I’ve never tried a lamington but I love these flavors. Beautiful cupcakes! :)

3. Jane @ Shady Baker on January 24, 2013 at 1:30 pm

This looks easier than making actual lamingtons, thanks for sharing JJ. I might make these for the weekend!

• JJ on January 29, 2013 at 3:03 pm

Thanks for sharing the pic of your cakes over on Twitter – fabulous!

4. Claire @ Claire K Creations on January 24, 2013 at 2:00 pm

Well you didn’t tell me that if I invited you over you’d bake me something like this. When are you free? Yum!

• JJ on January 29, 2013 at 3:04 pm

haha next time I’m in QLD we’ll definitely have cake ;)

5. Sara @bellyrumbles on January 24, 2013 at 3:32 pm

I like simple that looks stunning. Great idea JJ.

6. Christine @ Cooking Crusade on January 24, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Very cute and so perfect for Aussie Day. Especially jam filled yum!!

• JJ on January 29, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Jam always wins

7. Liz on January 25, 2013 at 2:59 am

Perfect for Australia Day…they look delish!!! I love when I get suggestions for what to bake…I’m always happy to comply :)

8. Tina @ bitemeshowme on January 25, 2013 at 9:31 am

They look beautiful and delicious! I wouldn’t think twice about putting jam in the cupcakes ;)

9. Nic@diningwithastud on January 25, 2013 at 11:09 am

I just had a lamington bite :) love a good old lamington. Perfect twist JJ!

10. Martine @ Chompchomp on January 25, 2013 at 3:53 pm

Fabulous idea. Now give me a GF version. lol

11. [...] Recipe Tags: cup cake, cup cake recipe, cupcake, cupcake recipes, Cupcakes, Lamington Cupcakes, Lamington Cupcakes & Chocolate Fudge Glaze, Lamington Cupcakes & Chocolate Fudge Glaze Recipe, Lamington Cupcakes Recipe Let’s Get Social         Get Our Cakes in Your Inbox!  [...]

12. Flick Your Food on January 26, 2013 at 9:41 pm

What a fantastic idea for Australia day!

13. Melissa on January 29, 2013 at 9:56 pm

Happy belated Australia day. Love this recipe.