Gluten Free Almond Pie Crust

12-03-19_AlmondCrust

You know I love to tease a bit and split up recipes… this is the perfect example. Purple Pie filling a few days ago, today the crust to put it in!

12-03-19_AlmondCrust

I adore this crust. I discovered it ages ago over on Maria’s site, made it that very evening and filled it with some form of spiced sweet potato custard, made it again for pumpkin tarts around Christmas and again for the first test of my Purple Carrot Pie a few months back! I was hesitant at first though, and couldn’t quite understand how rough almond meal and egg would form a dough, but low and behold it did.

12-03-19_AlmondCrust 12-03-19_AlmondCrust

It is stable enough to line a full-size pie pan but I really liked using it for loose-bottomed tart shells and sometimes little bitty pies in muffin tins. Perfect with sweet custard-y fillings it would be delicious with rustic savory flavours as well.

Now between this and my Whole Spelt Crust I’ve got two versions of crust under my [ever expanding] belt that are starting to change my mind about only eating the filling and leaving the rest behind!

12-03-19_AlmondCrust

Comments

• JJ says

Hi Ellen, I would imagine you could but the oil doesn’t seem to contribute a very strong flavour so it would work as-is with a bit of sugar. Great idea to use it for a cheesecake!

1. Ann says

Is “2oog coarse almond meal”
    in the ingredients list a typo?

What is the amount in US conversions?

I really want to try this out for Thanksgiving! Can’t wait

• JJ says

Hi Ann, no it’s not a typo, just the weight of the item in grams. It works out at about 7 oz or 2 1/3 cups + 1 Tbsp when lightly spooned in. Let me know how it goes!

2. Claudia Kuhns says

I have the same question as Ann. What is 2oog coarse almond meal. I have looked at several recipes and this one looks the best. I also want to use it for Thanksgiving.

Thank you.

3. Hannah Caldwell says

Hey JJ, was just wondering if it matters too much whether you get the almond meal without the bits of skin in it?? will it make a large difference? thanks!!

• JJ says

Hi Hannah, I’ve never made it with the blanched almond meal but I would imagine that it would simply create a smoother crust – let me know if you try it!

4. Tam says

Just came across this recipe, and can’t wait to try it out. Any ideas on what could be used as an egg substitute?

• JJ says

Hi Tam, hum, the packet vegan egg substitute would probably work (it is usually potato starch) or you could try a bit of chickpea/besan flour? Let me know if you try anything!

5. Drebabii says

THANK YOU! THANK YOU! I was looking for a recipe with almond flour but no butter! I’m trying to stay away from as much starch and dairy as possible. I can’t wait to try it! Thanks again!

Trackbacks