Quinoa Tortillas

October 24, 2011

Quinoa Tortillas

You know when you try something out expecting one result and what you get is so much better? Yeah, these are that. I noticed recently that Bob’s Red Mill has started ranging in Australia – I was excited to say the least. FYI – they have nothing to do with this post, I just really like their stuff … that said, if they sent me a hamper, I wouldn’t say no, what I would do is giggle like a kid at Christmas. I get excited about baking supplies, it doesn’t take much. Anyway, while I already have my standard organic whole wheat and whole spelt and rye flours, I haven’t played around with gluten free stuff too much. Probably because we aren’t gluten free – funny that. But you know I like a good experiment when it comes to baking and cooking. I definitely don’t go for gluten free flour mixes just for the sake of it, but I have been wanting to try Quinoa flour amongst a few others for a while.

Quinoa Batter

I finally got some the other day and after putting it into a jar, there was still a bit left in the bag. I was in the midst of making pancakes, shocker, and figured that I’d just add some water, make a simple batter and see if I could get a crepe out of it.  To my surprise, what emerged from the pan was more like a tortilla than a crepe. Thin but flexible enough to fold, strong enough to hold a filling and a little bit earthy.

Cooking the Tortillas

When we decided to make Fish Tacos last weekend, I knew that this was what I needed to use. I have been trying to avoid packaged tortillas ever since we started this new way of eating thing – most of them are either white/refined flour, or whole wheat but with a long list of other crap in them. I love homemade corn tortillas, and the dough is dead simple with Masa Harina and water, but the rolling I can do without unless I have a lot of time on my hands. Yes I know I can just get a press thing, no I haven’t yet.

Anyway, there are two ingredients in these, they cook in minutes and are perfect for Fish Tacos at the very least, and any other filling you would put in a tortilla at best.

Quinoa Tortillas

~~~

Quinoa Tortillas

Ingredients

1 c quinoa flour
1-ish c water*
pinch sea salt

Full Method in under 100

Whisk together all ingredients in a small bowl or a large jug.  Allow to sit for a couple of minutes while you pre-heat a sturdy non-stick skillet over low to medium low heat*.

Oil pan lightly [I used coconut oil on a paper towel] and pour in approx 3 Tbsp [just shy of 1/4 c] of batter*.  Immediately tilt pan around in a circle to spread evenly.

Allow to cook until edge just begins to lift off pan on it’s own, flip to cook other side until small brown spots start to show, flip back to original side for an extra 30 seconds. Set aside on a cooling rack and stack other tortillas on top. Any crisp edges will soften as they cool.

Serve at room temp with filling of your choice. Makes 8-10 four inch tortillas

Notes:

• Batter should be quite runny so that it spreads easily in the pan, but just thick enough that the tortillas are sturdy. Test out a little bit and add more water or quinoa flour as necessary.  It’s better to have this a touch too thin than too thick, you want it to spread nicely in the pan when you swirl it.
  • Low to Medium-low heat lets the batter spread around before it cooks.
  • Makes small-ish saucer size tortillas, if you are talented at batter swirling and experiment with larger ones, let me know how it goes!

~~~

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

30 Responses to Quinoa Tortillas

1. Jennifer @ Raisin Questions on October 25, 2011 at 11:43 am

Wow! This is fabulous. I’m so glad you stumbled upon this in a random kitchen experiment. It’s so true that seeking out real foods opens a whole new world of possibilities!

• JJ on October 26, 2011 at 12:37 pm

Thanks, I love happy kitchen accidents, especially when it results in deliciousness!

2. Danielle on October 28, 2011 at 4:01 am

I am definitely going to try this. I have been working on perfecting a tortilla but haven’t found the right flour for it. I got a tortilla press but I end up making them too thick and then they are a little hard. I have to try and make them thinner but it’s hard to work with! So def trying this :) Thanks.

• JJ on October 28, 2011 at 9:09 am

I hope they work for you, I just made another batch for dinner last night. Let me know how it goes!

3. Tina on October 30, 2011 at 2:07 am

I am so glad that I stumbled on this….I developed a corn allergy recently, which, for a Mexican it was, well,devastating. I had to eliminate so many of my culutural foods. I am definitely going to try these tortillas :) My husband will be so grateful.

• JJ on October 30, 2011 at 12:55 pm

Oh no! I hope these work for you!

4. Cynthia Henderson on October 30, 2011 at 2:47 am

Hey, thank you for this recipe … will definitely try it very soon. I bake gluten-free, and I’m always looking for new recipes.

5. Bryan of Jordan on November 3, 2011 at 1:54 pm

I just threw this together as a trial run with Whole Spelt Flour because I am out of Quinoa. They were a pinch thick but tasted great. A little vanilla, an egg, and a touch of honey (if you were so inclined) would probably make this into an awesome crepe.

6. Kendra Hubbell on November 15, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Thank you for this! I have been meaning to do this myself. I have a Vitamix and was going to just make some flour from my big bag of Costco quinoa. I make pizza crust or farinata, in a similar way, equal parts garbanzo bean flour to equal parts water. You can see the recipe here: http://bfffoodproject.blogspot.com/2011/02/garbonzo-bean-flour-pizza-crust-or.html
    I have a son who is no gluten no dairy and we usually use corn tortillas but I’ve been wanting to make quinoa tortillas.

• JJ on November 29, 2011 at 12:12 am

I’ve been looking for things to do with the big bag of besan (chick pea flour) I have in my fridge, your pizza crust looks like a great idea! Thanks.

7. Ann on November 27, 2011 at 2:41 pm

Bob’s Red Mill products are awesome. I love quinoa. I love tortillas. I love fish tacos. For sure I am giving this recipe a shot! Thanks!

• JJ on November 29, 2011 at 12:09 am

Thanks Ann – I feel the same way about all of the above!

• Erica Evans on September 9, 2013 at 3:35 am

It’s south cheaper to grind your own quinoa. We borrowed a grinder. Set it on fine and it made a ton of flour. We probably ground less than 4 cups of quinoa – maybe even less. And I got about 10 cups
      Of flour. I got the quinoa from Costco. $10 for a 4lb bag.

8. jenny on February 21, 2012 at 12:00 pm

we just tried this recipe wanting tacos and we ended up with perfect crepes and changed dinner halfway through it all cooking…tacos tomorrow maybe???

9. Julia Zimmerman on February 22, 2012 at 11:25 am

Hi! Not too long ago I discovered a recipe for chickpea flour crepes and they are really good (known as socca in France). Anyway, can’t wait to give yours a try. Thanks!

10. Ambika on April 21, 2012 at 12:47 am

Wow!! This sounds amazing, never thought of quinoa in tortillas! Came here from Katherine’s blog hop and glad that I did! You have a wonderful page :)

• JJ on April 21, 2012 at 9:28 am

Thanks Ambika – glad you popped over, hope you enjoy!

11. Tina on April 21, 2012 at 3:17 am

I have a huge bag of Quinoa in my pantry. Do you think I could just put in my food processor and make the flour?

• JJ on April 21, 2012 at 9:30 am

Hi Tina – I have never done it but would imagine that if you have a processor strong enough (I can see the vitamix and thermo bloggers waving their hands around from here!) it would work. Let me know how you go!

• Erica Evans on September 9, 2013 at 3:29 am

Yes. We bought the red quinoa from Costco and borrowed a friends grinder. Grind it fine and it will be perfect.

12. Healthiful Balance on April 22, 2012 at 10:35 pm

I just tried making these and they didnt turn out :( I’m not sure why.. maybe I added too much water?

Yours look SO SO SO good though! I’ll give it another try once I get more quinoa flour :)

• JJ on April 22, 2012 at 10:41 pm

Oh no! The can be temperamental if the pan is too hot or if there is too much oil (only need a really light coating, I use a paper towel to wipe it on)

If you want to drop me an email I may be able to help. Hope they work next time!

13. Karla on July 24, 2012 at 7:40 am

Thank you for posting this recipe. I was on the search for a recipe like this, having incorporated quinoa into my diet recently and realizing it had a somewhat corn like taste to me, I thought can one make a tortilla out of quinoa flour? Like another person who commented previously, I too am Mexican with a recent corn allergy (I also have a dairy allergy). I had resigned myself to the idea that I’d never eat enchiladas again, but this is a great find! Thanks again.

14. Rachel on August 1, 2012 at 1:19 pm

My partner and I would like to find a way to easily make gluten-free burritos, for quick packed lunches, but we haven’t found a gf tortilla sturdy enough to handle being folded into a burrito and frozen. Will these work?

Thanks for the great recipe!

• JJ on August 3, 2012 at 11:41 pm

Hi Rachel, not sure if these would work well once frozen and thawed… they are best fresh but probably worth making a batch and trying it with one or two – you know, and eating the rest ;) I tend to make them more a soft taco size than burrito however. Would love to hear how it goes!

15. StoneMaven on May 16, 2013 at 1:39 am

I wonder if this will work with my chickpea (Besam) flour…

16. Erica Evans on September 9, 2013 at 3:27 am

I made this last night with fresh ground RED quinoa flour. Worked great!!!!

17. Ever on July 19, 2014 at 3:14 am

I’ve seen this method for making quinoa tortillas on a few different blogs and I was wondering if it only works with a teflon skillet. I’ve tried it twice in my cast-iron (which is seasoned well, by the way) and all I get is a stuck tortilla that has to be scraped off and ends up looking like a scrambled tortilla. The only way I was able to make them was to add eggs and oil to the patter. I’d love to be able to make these with a regular cast-iron skillet instead of an unhealthy non-stick one.

• Amy on July 21, 2014 at 7:07 am

I’m wondering the same thing about cast iron. I can’t bring myself to buy teflon, but there has to be a way to make healthy tortillas without it.

• JJ on July 21, 2014 at 12:44 pm

Hi Ever and Amy, a well-seasoned cast iron should work exactly like a teflon pan when it comes to non-stick!

A couple tips:
        * Make sure the pan is pre-heated, this is really important. It only needs to be on low to medium-low but should be fully up to temp.
        * Wipe pan with a paper towel and a small bit of coconut oil, you don’t want an oil slick, just a thin coating. This is extra important with cast iron.
        * Once spread into a crepe let it cook until the edges lift on their own (like in the pic), it will not flip on any pan until it’s ready, the edge lift is the indication.
        * Wipe with the oiled paper towel in between each tortilla.

Good luck!