A pie filling as luscious and decadent as Raw Banana Cream Pie needed an equally special crust.
Dates are nature’s caramel after all so it isn’t too far a leap to see the dates + sea salt = salted caramel connection. How’s that for a raw replacement fix? Add in buttery macadamias and a few other secret ingredients and we have a pie crust made in heaven.
Don’t forget to pop over to the Raw Vegan Macadamia & Coconut Banana Cream Pie post to check out the rest of the creations in the May Raw themed Sweet Adventures Blog Hop.
Raw Macadamia & Salted Caramel Pie Crust
Makes one 8-inch pie crust
- 1 c raw macadamias
- 1/2 c shredded coconut, un-sweetened
- 1/2 c dates, seeds removed [approx 6]
- 1/4 c ground flax seed
- 2 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 tsp flaky sea salt, or more to taste
Oil base and line sides of an 8 inch [20 cm] removable-base cake tin.
Blend macadamia nuts to a rough paste, add coconut and blend until combined. Add dates and pulse until well chopped into nut mixture. Add remaining ingredients and blend to combine.
Press into your prepared tin and up sides. Refrigerate until needed.
- Fill with Raw Vegan Macadamia & Coconut Banana Cream Pie, Vegan Vanilla Cashew Cheesecake, Vegan Pumpkin Pie and even Vegan Chocolate Fudge or Vegan Chocolate Ice Cream, and set according to recipes.
- My original plan was to add 2 Tbsp of raw cacao powder to the mixture… yeah, you can bet on that version showing up one day.
- The mixture would be fabulous on its own rolled into truffle bites or cut into bars.
vegan // gluten free // dairy free // refined sugar free