Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde

April 23, 2013

13-04-03_RoastedTomatilloSalsaVerde

Of the things I miss most from America-land, proper Mexican food is pretty close to the top of the list.

I crave the staff lunches made by the Mexican woman who was a prep chef in a Denver restaurant where I waited tables. The dark, 20+ ingredient mole poblano, the spicy rice, the salsas, the fresh vegetables, the hot tortillas. It was fresh and clean and filling.

13-04-03_RoastedTomatilloSalsaVerde

My eyes glaze over when I think about the road-side shops in Mexico where a $1.50 fish taco comes out of the kitchen as a piece of perfectly grilled fish perched on a handmade corn tortilla. The variety of salsas and pickles and sauces are what make the meal, as you build your own right at the table.

After a few years of Tex-Mex fast food growth, Sydney over the past 12 or so months has been the focus of a Mexican restaurant invasion. Very exciting, right? Wrong.

Expensive fit-outs with lots of contrived kitsch, expensive food with lots of contrived combinations to match. Very little true flavour – Mexican or Tex-Mex or otherwise. The critics are moaning “Is this trend over yet? What’s next?” when they should be instead demanding “When will someone get it right?”

13-04-03_RoastedTomatilloSalsaVerde

I mentioned in my April In My Kitchen post about a fabulous range of salsas discovered recently – made by a Mexican-American, imagine that – but it is an expensive habit, and you know I like to make things myself.

So you cannot imagine how excited I was to discover tomatillos at a market recently. I should have bought more but on that day a single $5 bowl – weighing in at about 500 g on my kitchen scale – and a couple black-green jalapenos were enough to get me started.

Note to self, go buy more tomatillos asap, we’re out of salsa…

13-04-03_RoastedTomatilloSalsaVerde

13-04-03_RoastedTomatilloSalsaVerde

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde

1. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on April 23, 2013 at 2:07 am

I love tomatillo salsa, this looks mouth-watering!

2. Tina @ bitemeshowme on April 23, 2013 at 9:27 am

Love the sound of this tomatillo salsa verde. I tend to eat it with breads and my nicely cooked piece of steak. It just always works well with a variety of things.

3. Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy on April 23, 2013 at 10:25 am

Ooh I have always wanted to try tomatillos! If I ever see them at the markets I will let you know :)
    Love your photos here JJ!

4. Em on April 23, 2013 at 10:41 am

I will be looking for tomatillas when i go to the market this weekend! As someone who just ate their body weight in $1.50 tacos in California, I am keen to be able to replicate some authentic Mexican fare at home.

• JJ on June 1, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I lived on tacos when we were in the US and Mexico last year – have to make them at home to get a decent fix now!

5. milkteaxx on April 23, 2013 at 10:46 am

this sounds delicious! i may make some for the staff get together tmr!

6. the kitchen crusader on April 23, 2013 at 11:04 am

a little Italian man with a big personality sells tomatillos and the most lovely heirloom tomatoes. Now I know what to do with those tomatillos! (Always wondered).

7. Claire @ Claire K Creations on April 23, 2013 at 4:35 pm

JJ this is just what I need! My husband and I have been complaining about how hard it is to find good salsa (we’ve been sampling lots). You’re right about the Mexican food. Oh how I wish someone would get it right in Brisbane.
    I rather like my homemade versions though.

8. Kyrstie@ A Fresh Legacy on April 25, 2013 at 11:30 am

I love love love salsa. Now you have made my mouth water.

9. Rae on April 28, 2013 at 3:19 am

This looks tasty. Though one thing I would like to point out is coriander and cilantro, though from the same plant taste different. Cilantro is the immature form of coriander and, imo, better for Mexican cuisine.

• JJ on June 1, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Thanks for the info Rae but in Australia the Cilantro is sold under the name Coriander (and the ground seed spice is also called Coriander) You will never find anything called Cilantro here!

10. Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel on April 29, 2013 at 2:20 pm

Surprise! I had your blog this month for Secret Recipe Club!! I LOVED this salsa!! And it was my first time cooking with tomatillos :) A success!

• JJ on June 1, 2013 at 11:15 pm

So glad you chose this recipe! Thanks :)

11. Sara @bellyrumbles on May 2, 2013 at 11:16 pm

O…… M……. G……. Fresh tomatillos!!!! Forget your recipe, I am just peeing my pants on that discovery. Ok the verde is cool too :p

12. sara on May 3, 2013 at 12:27 pm

This looks so yummy! I definitely need to get some tomatillos at the store…I’m missing my old house where I could grow them in the backyard!

13. Nic @diningwithastud on May 5, 2013 at 5:43 pm

I’ve never eaten tomatillos but this salsa look soooo good! Must keep an eye out for them :)

14. the kitchen crusader on June 8, 2013 at 2:19 pm

JJ, thank you for this recipe. I tried it last night for a text mex evening with our friends. It went with our 1 meat dish for the fortnight… pulled pork and it WAS SENSATIONAL. I thoroughly recommend it to anyone. It’s spicy, people, but GREAT. I used one standard chilli instead of the 3 jalapeños and that worked fine. Next time (I know it might not be traditional) I’m going to try it with some fresh ginger in it.

• JJ on June 10, 2013 at 10:39 am

So glad you tried it!

15. The Saffron Girl on June 18, 2013 at 10:06 pm

This looks amazing JJ! You should try it as chilaquiles, a traditional Mexican dish made with this sauce and the tortilla shells.

16. 10 Delicious Foods to Cook in August on August 1, 2013 at 5:41 pm

[...] garlic, coriander, apple cider vinegar and lime to cook this food. You can follow the steps posted here to cook this [...]

17. […] But then a week or two later, I went back to JJ’s site and she had just posted a recipe for Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde, and I knew I had to try […]

18. […] (via 84th&3rd | Roasted Tomatillo Salsa Verde) […]