Corn, Zucchini & Saltbush Fritters

May 10, 2013

DSC_0882-600-w-txt

Can someone please tell me how on earth we ended up a week into May, remind me what day it is, hire a cleaning lady and get me a cup of tea?

I’ve been racing like a maniac to finish the artwork for the MCA Zine Fair so things may stay a bit quiet around these parts for a little while but we all still need to eat.

DSC_0884-600-w

A while back I shared a pic of the goodie bag from an event I attended. Creating this recipe not only gave me an opportunity to use the saltbush leaves but I finally worked out the perfect ratio of ingredients for fritters.

For years I was essentially making pancakes with extra stuff added in and they never quite hit the mark. These cut way back on the batter part, using only enough to just hold the other ingredients together, and are exactly what I’ve been searching for.

DSC_0856-600-w-txt

If you can’t get your hands on saltbush just use finely sliced rocket/arugula, kale, chard or even extra zucchini. For those who have never heard of saltbush it is a plant that grows on very inhospitable land around Australia and is traditionally used to graze animals – saltbush fed lamb is a very prized product.

The folks at Outback Pride worked out a way to cultivate a culinary version of the plant and the result is a tender leaf with a salty bite. Traditional ‘bush tucker’ is becoming very popular these days and is showing up on restaurants all around Australia. There is some pretty cool stuff out there and I’ll be sharing a bit more about samphire and finger limes in the coming months too.

DSC_0887-600-w-txt

For now it’s back to the design and layout grind for me, but if you are in Sydney on Sunday May 26 make sure to stop by the MCA to say hi to Swah and I, and browse the Zines!

Oh, also, I just ran out of Pumpkin Spice Cake so a cookie to go with that tea would be nice too… What are you working on these days?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

14 Responses to Corn, Zucchini & Saltbush Fritters

1. thelittleloaf on May 10, 2013 at 5:04 pm

I’d never heard of saltbush – I imagine I won’t be able to get it here but will definitely try these fritters with the suggested substitutes!

2. Jane @ Shady Baker on May 10, 2013 at 9:02 pm

Yum, these look great JJ. I have abundant zucchini in my veggie garden so this could be another way to use them up. We have saltbush growing naturally in the paddocks on our property and it also pops up in my garden voluntarily!

• JJ on June 12, 2013 at 1:52 pm

apparently the wild stuff is pretty tough but new sprouts may be more tender? Let me know if you try it!

3. Claire @ Claire K Creations on May 10, 2013 at 9:41 pm

I know exactly what you mean! I still haven’t perfected the balace so I’ll have to try this.
    I did an Aussie cooking class at the food and wine show last year and it was fascinating. I didn’t realise there were so many wild delicacies in Australia.

4. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on May 11, 2013 at 5:53 am

What tasty fritters, I love that they are packed with veggies!

5. Eha on May 11, 2013 at 12:18 pm

These I really will try soonest: both the look and the ingredients so appeal :) ! I have heard of saltbush lamb but will have to substitute with rocket or arugula, both always in my fridge! I do live semi-rurally so shall have to Google and see what the plant looks like: perhaps I have some growing wild around here also :) !

6. Sara @bellyrumbles on May 12, 2013 at 11:59 pm

The last time I had salt bush it was tempura style. Oh that was an amazing taste sensation! I actually instagramed the picture and a farmer friend of mine laughed her butt off. That’s what we feed the sheep! Would love to give these fritters a try.

• JJ on June 12, 2013 at 2:28 pm

I’ve seen the tempura version but have never tried it – hey you can’t go wrong with salty and crunchy!

7. The Hungry Mum on May 13, 2013 at 8:00 pm

^ What Sara said! Tempura saltbush = heaven on a plate!
    These fritters look delish, can’t wait to try them.

8. Helen (Grab Your Fork) on May 15, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Love how saltbush is making inroads into both restaurants and home kitchens. Now we just need to see more of it in supermarkets!

• JJ on June 12, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Exactly! There aren’t many retail suppliers, mainly wholesale to trade currently…

9. Angie@Angie's Recipes on May 15, 2013 at 11:37 pm

These fritters are droolworthy! I have to hunt down some saltbush to try.

10. Jarome on May 23, 2013 at 10:28 pm

Mouthwatering fritters it is! :)

11. […] the dried leaves used as a garnish Leaves can be used in salads, blanched to wrap fish or even in fritters Prostrate forms are a vigorous groundcover that are like a carpet so they don’t smother like […]