Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream & Halloween Ice Cream Bars

October 21, 2013

Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Bars for Halloween

Pumpkin makes me think of autumn, simple as that. Overflowing bins of carving pumpkins just crying out to become jack-o-lanterns. Costumes and candy and festive parties and crazy decorations. The promise of Pumpkin Pie at rapidly approaching holiday dinners.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, no matter how long I live in Australia I still associate end of year holidays with cold weather — and Halloween falls firmly in this category.

Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Bars for Halloween

People in many parts of the world don’t understand sweet pumpkin desserts. They turn their noses up, opting instead for apple or chocolate or lemon, having no idea what they are missing out on. Growing up if you had asked me if we ever ate pumpkin in anything other than pie I would have said no, but that’s not quite true…

Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Bars for Halloween

Mom used to make baked Acorn Squash for dinner quite often and each Thanksgiving and Christmas would see mashed Butternut Squash on the table next to the sweet potatoes and stuffing. But we called those things ‘squash’ not ‘pumpkin’ and — while they were served with the savoury portion of the meal — they still had brown sugar mixed in or sprinkled over top giving them a distinctively sweet kick

Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Bars for Halloween

Up until relatively recently America-land didn’t embrace pumpkin in savoury dishes — and the rest of the world didn’t really embrace it in sweet dishes — but thanks to Pinterest and the ever increasing availability of digital versions of cooking magazines the lines are starting to blur. To someone as mad about pumpkin as I, this is not a bad thing!

But let’s get back to Halloween for a moment and the fact that in Sydney the temperatures are hovering around the 80′s and 90′s, reminding me that summer is fast approaching.

Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Bars for Halloween

The temperature is good news for people who use Halloween as an excuse to dress up as some variation of sexy nurse-doctor-super hero-watermelon-cat-bunny-miley cyrus wtf but is also a firm reminder that I should not be turning on the oven for anything remotely Halloween related.

So what to do about my-never-ending-Pumpkin-Pie-craving and what to make for the Halloween themed October Sweet Adventures Blog Hop I’m hosting? Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream all dressed up for a festive Halloween party, that’s what.

Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream Bars for Halloween

You’ll find the instructions on how to add your #SABH post below the recipes. Have a very Happy Halloween and don’t forget to check out all the other ghoulish Halloween creations that have been linked up!

—–

—–

Sweet Adventures Blog Hop: How to link-up

The October Halloween theme hop is open for linkup until 11:59 pm, Friday 25 October [AEST Sydney time].

1. Add a link to this post somewhere in your post – You won’t be able to link up in the hop without a ‘backlink’ to this hostess post included in your post.
  2. Click here for the Thumbnail List code – Copy the code and add it to the bottom of your post in HTML view.
  3. Click here to Enter the Hop – Make sure to do this step so you appear in the list too! Add the link to your SABH post (NOT your homepage). Your entry will be submitted when you click ‘crop’ on your photo.

Sweet Adventures Blog Hop October 2013 - HalloweenIf you have a question or aren’t sure of something don’t hesitate to ask. For more information detailed instructions can be found here.

Remember, SABH is open to all food bloggers but only new posts published after the hop goes live can be linked up.

SABH is brought to you by 84th & 3rd and monthly Guest Hostesses. Follow on Twitter: @SweetAdvBlogHop and Facebook: /SweetAdventuresBlogHop for new hop announcements and general deliciousness. Thanks for joining SABH!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

27 Responses to Vegan Pumpkin Pie Ice Cream & Halloween Ice Cream Bars

1. Halloween Bleeding Cake on October 21, 2013 at 9:00 am

[...] was excited to find out that this month’s Sweet Adventures Blog Hop was Halloween themed! I wanted to create something gruesome but beautiful, and ofcourse delicious. [...]

2. Halloween Zombie Eyes « The Dessert Spoon on October 21, 2013 at 9:40 am

[...] For more Halloween treats check out the posts from other bloggers for this month’s Halloween Sweet Adventures Blog Hop [...]

3. [...] the recipe for my Black Cat Pumpkin Cheesecake Bars for October’s SABH.  The lovely JJ from 84th & 3rd is hosting this one.  These bars are gluten-free, vegetarian and fructose free (not including the [...]

4. Claire @ Claire K Creations on October 21, 2013 at 11:58 am

JJ I can’t wait to have a go of this ice-cream. You could hardly call it naughty it’s more like a health treat. I’ll admit, I hosted my first Thanksgiving dinner last year and made pumpkin pie for the first time expecting it to be awful. One bite and I was hooked. Now I love sweet pumpkin treats!

• JJ on October 22, 2013 at 11:15 pm

haha my thoughts exactly ;D Fabulous that you’re a convert!

5. Martyna @ Wholesome Cook on October 21, 2013 at 12:44 pm

That is so cool JJ! I’ve made pumpkin ice cream before and it’s really good. Yours though looks much better this way! Pumpkin Madness :-)

• JJ on October 22, 2013 at 11:15 pm

Thanks Marty!

6. Deepa Gopinath on October 21, 2013 at 1:22 pm

Brilliant! Perfect for a hot day like today. I don’t have an ice cream maker so the notes are great.

• JJ on October 22, 2013 at 11:15 pm

I made ice cream for years without one but do adore mine just a bit now that I have it ;D

7. justagirlfromaamchimumbai on October 21, 2013 at 5:54 pm

Wow now that is a work of art. Looks fabulous and I am sure tastes delicious too.

• JJ on October 22, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Thanks! It was fun to just fling the magic shell around

8. Nic on October 21, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Fab! They’re so pretty but yes, pumpkin is mainly savoury in my world!

• JJ on October 22, 2013 at 11:16 pm

I’ll convert you yet Nic!

9. thelittleloaf on October 21, 2013 at 7:45 pm

These are complete genius! Absolutely love the flavours and as for the creativity…love love love!

• JJ on October 22, 2013 at 11:17 pm

aww thanks!

10. milkteaxx on October 22, 2013 at 10:42 am

now that winter is well and truly over, roasted pumpkin can take a backseat! pumpkin ice cream all the way!

• JJ on October 22, 2013 at 11:17 pm

Ice cream always wins doesn’t it?!

11. Jen @ Savory Simple on October 22, 2013 at 12:29 pm

These are so incredibly creative!

12. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on October 22, 2013 at 4:55 pm

Such a fun and festive idea!

13. My Kitchen Stories on October 22, 2013 at 8:59 pm

How beautiful are these?. They would make such a spectacular dessert for a party

• JJ on October 22, 2013 at 11:18 pm

Cheers Tanya, I’m already thinking up all sorts of ways I can make other colours of shell!

14. Ghoulish Pumpkin Finger Cookies | Gastromony on October 22, 2013 at 11:50 pm

[...] Ghoulish Pumpkin Finger Cookies With the house move largely done and dusted, I can start focussing on cooking and blogging again. Well… Maybe we’ll insert ‘sort of’ into that sentence. Unfortunately there’s still a few things I ought to be doing instead of playing in the kitchen but when a Sweet Adventures Blog Hop rolls around, I can’t resist. This month’s hop is appropriately themed ‘Trick Or Treat, It’s Halloween!’ and hosted by JJ from 84th and 3rd. [...]

15. Sarah on October 23, 2013 at 3:04 pm

I am also crazy about all things pumpkin – this recipe is a nice chilly addition to the plethora of warm-pumpkin dishes out there!

16. Monica @ Gastromony on October 24, 2013 at 5:28 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever tried pumpkin ice cream but I like the sound (and look) of it very much. The magic shell recipes are great! I find the shop bought stuff way too rich and way too sweet. Thanks for hosting a fun hop!

17. Stephanie - The Dessert Spoon on October 24, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Looks great! I love the magic shell!!

18. Sally @simmer and boyle on October 27, 2013 at 6:11 am

these are so cool, love the magic shell, need to work on a choc peanut butter version…

19. Sara @bellyrumbles on November 2, 2013 at 8:56 pm

They are just so cute. I get pumpkin as a dessert. Believe it or not, this Aussie girl was taught to make pumpkin pie at the age of 7 by her aunt. I thought she rocked big time :)