Raw Banana Cream Pie & Whipped Coconut Cream

DSC_3124-600-w-txt

The full royal moniker of this creation is Raw Vegan Macadamia & Coconut Banana Cream Pie, but in the interest of daily conversation, a shortened version was necessary for public appearances.

Yeah, I just compared Price William Arthur Philip Louis Windsor – aka Wills – to a Banana Cream Pie, it happens. And honestly, this luscious creation should be the future king of Pie-land, so it works.

In any case, few months back I discovered that Banana Cream Pie is apparently the favourite dessert of one of my favourite uncles. Alas, he is no longer allowed to eat pretty much anything in the traditional version, so of course my mind has been ticking over ever since.

DSC_3108-600-w-txt

The May Sweet Adventures Blog Hop ‘Raw’ theme was the perfect opportunity to flex my invention muscles and whip up a version that pretty much anyone can eat. Good lord it is good.

In the past I’ve used cashews to create a Raw Vegan Cheesecake so this time figured I’d give it a twist and use buttery Australian Macadamias instead.

Macadamias have been a regular visitor round these parts, appearing in everything from an Aussie-Nutella to Sour Cherry Cake to Vegan Chocolate Fudge, so it wasn’t too big a leap to make them into a cream pie filling. I love it when a plan comes together.

Oh, I must mention my top macadamia eating tip… salt. Kind of like with chocolate, a pinch of sea salt on the raw nuts completely transforms them and makes the flavour pop brilliantly, try it some time.

DSC_3063-600-w-txt

Oh, don’t miss the Raw Macadamia & Salted Caramel Pie Crust recipe, and then go make this pie.

The development of this recipe was sponsored by Australian Macadamias. As always any opinions, random facts, and ingredient obsessions are all mine.

~~~

~~~
Sweet Adventures Blog Hop - RawThis post is part of the May Sweet Adventures Blog Hop – Sweets without Heat (RAW) – hosted by Nic of Dining with a Stud.

SABH is a monthly blog hop brought to you by your hostesses –  Dining With a Stud, The Capers of the Kitchen Crusader, and me – 84th & 3rd.

Make sure to check out all the other RAW creations that have been linked-up below!

Comments

1. says

Hi JJ! What a beautiful pie! Your photos are so pretty (love the blue board!) and I bet this tastes delicious. Right up my alley. I can’t wait to give this one a go- I love all the ingredients that you chose :)

• JJ says

Cheers Emilie – I’m loving the board too right now, have to stop myself from photographing everything on it ;D

2. says

I am loving the look of this! You got me at all the tropical ingredients JJ! And don’t get me talking about macadamias. My girls love that stuff!

• JJ says

Thanks and yes, definitely. I’ve found a few that work really well and some that don’t work at all! The organic ones with ‘guar gum’ tend to be the best as the gum helps it froth. Keep trying them till you find a good one. Simply freeze any leftover milk/cream to use later when it doesn’t work.

3. says

This will definitely be in my dreams tonight! Looks amazing, do you think you could sub in walnuts (there are so many cheap walnuts about right now)?
    Man I really just want to dig right in.

• JJ says

Hi Rachel, you could but I’m not sure if it would be as silky, you would want to soak them for at least 12 hours first

4. says

I’ve been wanting to make a raw vegan dessert for the summer and am definitely going to try this one!! Thanks for posting!

5. Robert says

I just tried this recipe, but it didn’t work out too well. I followed the instructions explicitly but the result was a macadamia nut pie… The macadamia flavor was overwhelming and it had too much of a lemon flavor. I could barely taste the banana. should I alter the amount of macadamia used in the filling?

• JJ says

Hi Shannan, guar gum isn’t an ingredient (per-say) in either of these recipes, but to get coconut cream to whip it helps to buy an organic one that has guar gum listed as an ingredient.

• JJ says

Hum, based on the fact that it’s a banana cream pie I’m going to go with no, but you’re free to use any fruit you wish.

Trackbacks