Raw Banana Cream Pie & Whipped Coconut Cream

May 20, 2013

DSC_3124-600-w-txt

The full royal moniker of this creation is Raw Vegan Macadamia & Coconut Banana Cream Pie, but in the interest of daily conversation, a shortened version was necessary for public appearances.

Yeah, I just compared Price William Arthur Philip Louis Windsor – aka Wills – to a Banana Cream Pie, it happens. And honestly, this luscious creation should be the future king of Pie-land, so it works.

In any case, few months back I discovered that Banana Cream Pie is apparently the favourite dessert of one of my favourite uncles. Alas, he is no longer allowed to eat pretty much anything in the traditional version, so of course my mind has been ticking over ever since.

DSC_3108-600-w-txt

The May Sweet Adventures Blog Hop ‘Raw’ theme was the perfect opportunity to flex my invention muscles and whip up a version that pretty much anyone can eat. Good lord it is good.

In the past I’ve used cashews to create a Raw Vegan Cheesecake so this time figured I’d give it a twist and use buttery Australian Macadamias instead.

Macadamias have been a regular visitor round these parts, appearing in everything from an Aussie-Nutella to Sour Cherry Cake to Vegan Chocolate Fudge, so it wasn’t too big a leap to make them into a cream pie filling. I love it when a plan comes together.

Oh, I must mention my top macadamia eating tip… salt. Kind of like with chocolate, a pinch of sea salt on the raw nuts completely transforms them and makes the flavour pop brilliantly, try it some time.

DSC_3063-600-w-txt

Oh, don’t miss the Raw Macadamia & Salted Caramel Pie Crust recipe, and then go make this pie.

The development of this recipe was sponsored by Australian Macadamias. As always any opinions, random facts, and ingredient obsessions are all mine.

~~~

~~~
Sweet Adventures Blog Hop - RawThis post is part of the May Sweet Adventures Blog Hop – Sweets without Heat (RAW) – hosted by Nic of Dining with a Stud.

SABH is a monthly blog hop brought to you by your hostesses –  Dining With a Stud, The Capers of the Kitchen Crusader, and me – 84th & 3rd.

Make sure to check out all the other RAW creations that have been linked-up below!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

46 Responses to Raw Banana Cream Pie & Whipped Coconut Cream

1. Emilie@TheCleverCarrot on May 20, 2013 at 9:07 pm

Hi JJ! What a beautiful pie! Your photos are so pretty (love the blue board!) and I bet this tastes delicious. Right up my alley. I can’t wait to give this one a go- I love all the ingredients that you chose :)

• JJ on June 1, 2013 at 12:26 am

Cheers Emilie – I’m loving the board too right now, have to stop myself from photographing everything on it ;D

2. Christine @ Cooking Crusade on May 20, 2013 at 11:43 pm

Wows this looks absolutely stunning! I am looking forward to that delicious sounding crust recipe!

3. Nic@diningwithastud on May 21, 2013 at 8:23 am

Oh coconut cream! I adore it :) I need to give this pie a shot. I love macadamias, bananas, coconut – ugh who am I kidding, everything!!!

4. brenda hayes on May 21, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Wow, that looks incredible.

5. Helen (Grab Your Fork) on May 21, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Sounds so tropical with the use of coconut cream!

6. milkteaxx on May 21, 2013 at 2:43 pm

this sounds indulgent and delciious to me, cant believe its vegan too!

7. Moya on May 21, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Love all the tropical ingredients in this raw banana cream pie and the whipped coconut cream delicious.

8. Anna on May 21, 2013 at 4:48 pm

I am loving the look of this! You got me at all the tropical ingredients JJ! And don’t get me talking about macadamias. My girls love that stuff!

9. Sophie @thestickyandsweet.com on May 21, 2013 at 9:36 pm

WOW. Now, that’s a raw dessert!
    I knew you would come up with something fabulous for this theme.

• JJ on June 1, 2013 at 12:23 am

hee hee thanks Soph, you know I love a good challenge ;D

10. thelittleloaf on May 21, 2013 at 10:19 pm

This looks so incredibly delicious! I’ve had mixed results with making coconut whipped cream – do you think maybe it’s the brand I’m buying?

• JJ on June 1, 2013 at 12:32 am

Thanks and yes, definitely. I’ve found a few that work really well and some that don’t work at all! The organic ones with ‘guar gum’ tend to be the best as the gum helps it froth. Keep trying them till you find a good one. Simply freeze any leftover milk/cream to use later when it doesn’t work.

11. Claire @ Claire K Creations on May 22, 2013 at 6:50 am

I don’t know how I missed yet another hop! The recipe I posted on Friday would have been perfect! This looks a-ma-zing JJ. So so good.

12. Aga @ a matter of taste on May 22, 2013 at 9:27 am

This looks so tasty! Can’t believe it’s raw :)

13. Sara @bellyrumbles on May 22, 2013 at 1:39 pm

That looks incredibly awesome. You really are starting to sway me to try these amazing healthier versions you do.

14. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on May 22, 2013 at 2:20 pm

I love your buttery macadamia crust!

• JJ on June 1, 2013 at 12:25 am

It is so good!

15. Li @ Words and Cake on May 22, 2013 at 11:53 pm

I love the tropical flavors here! And that pie looks divine.

16. The Saffron Girl on May 23, 2013 at 12:32 am

LOVE it!! and it’s Paleo too! I’ve printed it out to make very soon. Thank you JJ!

• JJ on June 1, 2013 at 12:25 am

I thought you would like this one :)

17. Amanda@ChewTown on May 23, 2013 at 10:58 am

That is one spectacular looking pie JJ!

18. K-bobo @ Gormandize with A-dizzle & K-bobo on May 23, 2013 at 11:20 am

Your pie looks awesome! How good is making cream out of nuts?? Bookmarking this one to try for sure :)

• JJ on June 1, 2013 at 12:27 am

Oh I hope you do try it!

19. Monica on May 23, 2013 at 2:25 pm

This looks amazing JJ!! You would not think this pie was raw! I should try macadamia in a raw dessert one day :D

20. Nic on May 23, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Stunning photos! And you would never guess that it was raw and healthy!

21. Rachel on May 26, 2013 at 10:08 pm

This will definitely be in my dreams tonight! Looks amazing, do you think you could sub in walnuts (there are so many cheap walnuts about right now)?
    Man I really just want to dig right in.

• JJ on June 1, 2013 at 12:28 am

Hi Rachel, you could but I’m not sure if it would be as silky, you would want to soak them for at least 12 hours first

22. the kitchen crusader on May 27, 2013 at 9:18 pm

I love the reason you developed this recipe and the look of it! Oh JJ this looks amazing. PS macadamia is my favourite type of nut. We’re planting one at our new house.

• JJ on June 1, 2013 at 12:29 am

your own Mac tree – brilliant!

23. Abby @ The Frosted Vegan on May 29, 2013 at 6:07 am

Um whoa, look at that layer of crazy deliciousness! Banana in pie isn’t usually my thang, but I’ll take this any day!

24. Ana Fernandez on May 30, 2013 at 8:24 am

yei! I love finding vegan and raw dessert recipes online! I´m not a big fan of banana pie but this one looks incredibly!

25. Kori on May 30, 2013 at 8:29 pm

I’ve been wanting to make a raw vegan dessert for the summer and am definitely going to try this one!! Thanks for posting!

26. raw banana cream pie | fried sig on June 2, 2013 at 11:02 am

[...] 84th and 3rd Rate this:Share this:SharePrintEmailTwitterFacebookRedditTumblrGoogle +1DiggStumbleUponLike [...]

27. [...] Macadamia Banana Cream Pie [...]

28. [...] which makes it very difficult to choose what to make! Some recipes that caught my eye are her Raw Banana Cream Pie with a Raw Macadamia and Salted Caramel Crust, her Crackling Almond and Coconut Cookies, her Almond [...]

29. Robert on August 6, 2013 at 10:34 am

I just tried this recipe, but it didn’t work out too well. I followed the instructions explicitly but the result was a macadamia nut pie… The macadamia flavor was overwhelming and it had too much of a lemon flavor. I could barely taste the banana. should I alter the amount of macadamia used in the filling?

30. melissa on November 2, 2013 at 5:10 am

finally something with out raw honey, agave and dates. like the figs idea!

31. shannan on November 16, 2013 at 5:27 pm

Hello, I may have missed it. What is the total amount that I need of guar gum?

• JJ on November 16, 2013 at 9:35 pm

Hi Shannan, guar gum isn’t an ingredient (per-say) in either of these recipes, but to get coconut cream to whip it helps to buy an organic one that has guar gum listed as an ingredient.

32. Sulo on December 2, 2013 at 1:53 am

I’m so excited to make this for an upcoming party. Do you have any tips for making ahead and freezing?

33. […] (via 84th&3rd | Raw Banana Cream Pie & Whipped Coconut Cream) […]

34. […] Macadamia & Coconut Banana Cream Pie at 84th & 3rd […]

35. […] Banana Cream Pie With Whipped Coconut Cream […]

36. Hanh on August 11, 2014 at 2:09 pm

Yum. This sounds good. Wonder if we can use something else aside from bananas.

• JJ on August 26, 2014 at 10:22 pm

Hum, based on the fact that it’s a banana cream pie I’m going to go with no, but you’re free to use any fruit you wish.