If angels wore perfume it would smell like this cake.
It is possible I’m being dramatic again, but it is equally as possible the scent of it baking will make you want to sit next to the oven, fork in hand, in order to eat it bite by bite straight from the pan while fending off advances of anyone who dare ask for a taste.
When I chose ‘Seasonal Produce’ as the theme for this month’s Sweet Adventures Blog Hop this delightful creation was the first thing that came to mind to make the most of autumn apples. It’s been a classic in my cake arsenal for a very long time – but in its original form it’s loaded with vegetable oil, sugar and white flour.
Sometimes when I flip a recipe it goes a bit sideways, but sometimes it works so well I have no urge to ever go back to the initial list of ingredients. This is one of those times it worked brilliantly. I first made it last week for a dinner with friends but took only three photos – all on my phone – so of course I had to make it again this week in order to shoot it and, you know, just to make sure it was as fabulous as I thought. Yeah, I’m sure.
Have I mentioned lately that there is no modesty when it comes to cake?
While cake is always an acceptable breakfast, this one is almost healthy enough that you don’t need to make excuses when caught with a slice accompanying your morning cup of tea.
In other news, I ate cake for breakfast again.
I’m once again hosting this month’s Sweet Adventures Blog Hop.
With my newest project in full swing and our first official lunch slated for this coming weekend I’ve had seasonal produce on my mind – conveniently it made for a perfect SABH theme.
As always, details on how to link-up are below the recipe. I can’t wait to see what everyone else shares – no doubt there will be a whole stack of delicious to choose from for my Seasonal Sunday Lunch dessert course!
Fresh Apple Cake
Serves: 8 – 12
- 3 c diced apples
- zest from 1 lemon
- 2 1/4 c whole spelt flour
- 1/4 c arrowroot flour
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ginger
- 1/2 c coconut oil, melted
- 1/2 c rice syrup or honey or a mix
- 1/2 c rice milk, room temp
- 1/2 c apple sauce
- 2 beaten eggs, room temp
- 1 Tbsp lemon juice
- Cream Cheese Icing or Genius Goat Chevre Icing
Preheat oven to 180 C [350 F]. Grease and flour a bundt pan.
Combine all wet ingredients in a large jug, whisk well and set aside. Sift dry ingredients into a large bowl, toss through apple and zest until well coated.
Stir wet ingredients into dry until just mixed, spoon carefully into prepared pan.
Bake for 40-45 minutes. Cool in pan 10 mins, turn out onto a rack and cool completely. Frost as desired.
- Pan: the biggest key to using a bundt pan is greasing and flouring really well – I use an oil spray then tap the flour around until fully coated but you can rub the pan with coconut oil too.
- Sweetener: I use a combination of 1/4 c rice syrup and 1/4 c honey, do whatever makes you happy.
dairy free // refined sugar free
Sweet Adventures Blog Hop – Link-up Instructions
This hop is open from 9am 15 April 2013 – 11:59pm 22 April 2013 [AEST Sydney time]. Please only link-up new posts published on or after 15 April.
IMPORTANT - The instructions below cover how to link up but if you aren’t sure of something leave a comment or send me an email and I will help where I can.
- Add a link to THIS POST from your post.
* You can create a text link or link the hop badge in your post. Save badge by right clicking on the image to ‘save as’.
* Providing a link to this post means others can view the instructions and join in!
- Click here for the Thumbnail List code – Copy the code and add it to the bottom of your post, you will need to do this in HTML view.
* Adding the code will create the thumbnail link list on your post so people can hop from one entry to the next.
- Click here to Enter the Hop – Make sure to enter the hop so you appear in the list too.
* On the entry screen, please add the link to your SABH post [NOT your homepage].
* Your entry will be submitted when you click ‘crop’ on your photo.
NOTE – your linked post WILL NOT appear straight away in the blog hop thumbnail list. To combat spam this is a moderated hop. Your post will be visible in the list after approved. Entries are approved in the order they are submitted during waking hours in Sydney. A girl needs to get her beauty sleep.