Well hello there, welcome to 84th & 3rd — I’m JJ, it’s lovely to meet you!
As you’re here instead of over having cake I’m guessing that you’d like to know something about me, or perhaps something about what you can find on the site, so let’s jump straight in.
I’m a Sydney-based freelance food photographer, food & prop stylist, commercial recipe developer and content creator. I shoot, style and develop recipes for a wide variety of clients including chefs, restaurants, nutritionists, FMCG brands, cookbooks and magazines. I teach photography and styling workshops on request and, thanks to over a decade in advertising strategy, I still provide social media consultant services on a limited basis. You can see a bit of my non-blog related work over here if you’re interested. I also make pottery, yes, really.
But I know you’re really here for the food — and let’s be honest, so am I! Above all else I’m passionate about real, unprocessed food. Growing up in an Italian family with a mother who had a “throw it all in a pot” approach to dinner has instilled in me a creative and experimental approach to cooking. I embrace a concept of substitution over sacrifice and truly believe that food should be fun, healthy does not mean boring and brunch is always a good idea.
Food inspires me, really. I think in recipes, discuss over breakfast what to eat for lunch, and have been known to detour miles out of the way for specific dishes. I’m not gluten-free, dairy-free or vegan but I cook in those styles quite a bit because I physically feel better eating that way (and it’s a far more interesting challenge).
RJ is my partner in crime, perpetual travel partner and holder of the food. He humours me (most of the time), serves as front line taste-tester and opinion-giver and makes me laugh every day. I plan on keeping him around for a while.
A few side notes
- Tea always — coffee only in desserts
- Veg-aquarian (or pescetarian if you must) — it’s a texture and health thing, not an ethical choice, so while I don’t eat meat I do cook with it
- Perpetual ingredient reader — food should be grown by farmers not chemists
- Chocolate — 7 times out of 10, then lemon, almost never caramel
- Yoga — vinyasa flow to be exact
- JJ is a short for Jennifer Jenner — no, you can’t call me Jenny
- Worrisome addictions include travel, cookbooks, brunch, cake and vintage dishes
Where did the name 84th & 3rd come from?
84th & 3rd is an ordinary corner, not particularly remarkable, in the most remarkable city in the world. We lived only meters from that corner on the Upper East Side of NYC and it was there that a seed was planted, a dream of doing something that I love and being able to share it with others. 84thand3rd.com is that something.
Get in touch…
Email: jj (at) 84thand3rd (dot) com [put in the right bits: @ and .]
Questions, requests or just want to say hi? I’d love to hear from you!
Postal address: PO Box 993, Neutral Bay, NSW 2089, Australia
Note: the North Sydney address is no longer valid.
Don’t miss out on new posts!
Simply choose what works best for you! Your email will not ever be sold or shared with others, just make sure to look for the automated confirmation email to activate your subscription.
Thanks for visiting, hope to see you again soon!
Ok, now the disclaimer-y bits. Humm…Opinions on this site reflect those of 84th & 3rd – and I’ve got a few. Although we may link to other sites, the opinions on those sites are their own and may or may not reflect what we think. Same for anywhere I may be working at any point in time. Material contained in this site is property of 84th&3rd unless credited to another source. It’s kind of like kindergarten: be nice, ask first, say please and don’t steal.
- If you cook one of my recipes and want to post about it on your blog using your own photos, I’m honoured – please link back to my original post for credit.
- If you want to include one of my recipes in a round-up / curated post you’re welcome to use 1 (one) of my images and link back to my original post. It’s not ok to re-publish my recipe.
- If you have a commercial or brand site there are plenty of ways to work with 84th&3rd, republishing recipes and photos without compensation or approval is not one of them.
Any products/brands/stuff* mentioned on the site are here because I like/hate/am amused by them, and am sharing my personal opinion. Anything provided for review or arranged through sponsorship is mentioned as such, however words and opinions are firmly my own – and I never talk about anything without using it first. *Stuff is a catch-all term. It means anything I want it to mean, convenient isn’t it!
We reserve the right to edit or remove any comments deemed inappropriate or annoying, etc etc etc, blah, blah, blah.
Now go have some cake.