My love of tahini is regularly flaunted here and I’ll put it on pretty much anything, but it also makes the perfect creamy dressing without a drop of dairy or a single nut in sight.
If you’re not a tahini fan you may have just not found one you like — so it’s worth trying a few brands as they can vary quite a bit from smooth to bitter and everything in between.
Either way, once you have your favourite tahini sorted out make sure to whip up a batch of this sauce. And if you’re here in Australia have a lovely three day weekend!
Lemon Tahini Sauce
Makes roughly 1 cup
- ½ c tahini
- 3 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1/3 c water, or more/less to taste
- 1 Tbsp olive oil, optional
- 2 Tbsp chopped parsley or mint
- pinch sea salt
In a small bowl stir lemon juice into tahini — don’t worry if the mixture looks broken and grainy at this stage. Stir in olive oil if using.
Stir in the water in a bit at a time until you achieve the consistency you want. Fold through chopped herbs and sea salt.
- Olive oil adds a extra richness to the sauce but it works fine without it too.
- A third of a cup water was perfect for topping Mushroom Falafel but you may want to keep it thicker for spreading on sandwiches or thiner for a salad dressing.
vegan // vegetarian // gluten-free // soy-free // nut-free // dairy-free