Blackened Salmon Reuben with Yoghurt Dill Sauce

April 2, 2014

Blackened Salmon Reuben

This is that sandwich, the one you’ve been waiting for. The one that is as comfortable at a brunch soiree as it is at lunch or dinner. The one that is a little bit rich, a little bit tangy, a little bit crisp, a little bit creamy. The one that guys want to be and girls want to be with.

Blackened Salmon Reuben

What? I love a good sandwich and this one ticks all the boxes.

A sandwich wasn’t however the first thing that came to mind when I was offered the opportunity to try out some of the Huon Aquaculture Reserve Selection products (#huonsalmon) — instead, what did go through my head was all the ways we incorporate fish into our regular meals.

Blackened Salmon Reuben

Funny enough though for as much as we eat salmon, both fresh and smoked, there wasn’t a single recipe for either on this site. So I let it marinate for a while — because where would the fun be in sharing something I make all the time – while I explored how Huon does business.

Based in Tasmania, Huon Aquaculture is not only a 100% family owned company but their practices really interest me. Everything from their stocking densities to their processing methods to their commitment to research and development is relayed with such obvious passion and respect.

Blackened Salmon Reuben

I then moved on to the online shop, scrolling through again and again as I tried to figure out which Reserve Selection products to try. The Blackened Spice Hot Smoked Salmon was the first thing to catch my eye and the sandwich-seed started to grow. But I couldn’t stop there and I popped some Whiskey Cured Cold Smoked Salmon and Hand-Milked Caviar into my cart (there is an off-chance they may still make it into another post later this week).

Blackened Salmon Reuben

A few days later the cold-packed box arrived and the sandwich-seed really kicked into high gear. From there it was only a matter of time before this brilliant (if I do say so myself) creation was born. Even better, we picked at the leftovers for days, mixing them into everything from eggs to salads to pasta, everybody wins.

Blackened Salmon Reuben

Tags: , , , , ,

10 Responses to Blackened Salmon Reuben with Yoghurt Dill Sauce

1. sue/the view from great island on April 2, 2014 at 1:42 am

Wow, another way to enjoy my favorite fish, thanks!

2. laurasmess on April 2, 2014 at 1:54 pm

This looks absolutely beautiful JJ! I already buy Huon products but I’ve never tried the blackened smoked salmon, it sounds delicious! Love the yoghurty sauce you’ve created. Yum, what a gorgeous lunch! x

3. Sally on April 2, 2014 at 6:15 pm

This looks amazing! Love blackened fish :)

4. Tightwad on April 3, 2014 at 6:18 am

OMG! Thanks for sharing the deliciousness!

5. Mel @ The cook's notebook on April 3, 2014 at 2:23 pm

So I’m obviously going to have to get some more of this blackened spice hot smoked salmon to go with the sauerkraut I’m currently making. YUM!

6. Calvin S. Kelly on April 3, 2014 at 3:25 pm

YUmmy.. Blackened salmon Reuben is really something. I like to have taste of this soon.. Thanks for sharing the ingredients.

7. Winston on April 5, 2014 at 9:06 pm

Now THAT is my kinda sandwich. Thanks for a great lunch idea! Quick to make, even quicker to demolish for work lunches.

8. Brenda Hayes on April 6, 2014 at 12:01 pm

Maybe we can have that one next time I am in Sydney. Sounds delicious

9. Annie @ The Random Foodie on April 10, 2014 at 3:56 pm

i love salmon! that salmon reuben looks impressive and tasty

10. Amanda@ChewTown on April 22, 2014 at 10:55 am

What a tasty sounding Reuben!