Cucumber Salad & a Scandinavian Inspired Brunch Spread

November 25, 2013

Swedish Cucumber Salad
One evening last week, well after midnight if I’m to be honest, I started writing a story inspired by this salad. Or perhaps, more accurately, this salad brought back memories of the Scandinavia portion of our trip a few years back.

However life (social and otherwise) reared its head once again and somewhere between working out how to make my computer see the images from my new camera (sigh) and juggling meetings and plans of world domination (only half kidding) the story was put on hold. It happens.

Swedish Cucumber Salad

This salad comes to you via my November Secret Recipe Club assigned blog, Without Adornment. The blog’s author, Bean, is gluten-free and many of her creations are dairy and refined sugar-free too. Back in July she had my blog for SRC, turning my Spiced Cherry Pie into a brilliant Saskatoon Berry Tart, and that recipe plus many others have since been bookmarked.

But back to the inspiration bit, this meal is a little peek into what we ate our first morning in Copenhagen — ratty from a long flight and lack of destination research — well past hangry and in desperate need of sustenance. With any luck the story will still see the light of day… one day. In the meantime there’s always brunch.

Swedish Cucumber Salad

——

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

23 Responses to Cucumber Salad & a Scandinavian Inspired Brunch Spread

1. Jess @ Flying on Jess Fuel on November 25, 2013 at 4:13 pm

This salad sounds super fresh & crisp! It would definitely pair well with some smoked salmon… great pick!

• JJ on November 25, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Would you believe I bought smoked salmon for the shot then forgot and cooked up sardines instead! whoops…

2. Lynn H @ Turnips 2 Tangerines on November 25, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Cool, crisp and refreshing, perfect addition to any table~ Lynn @ Turnips 2 Tangerines

3. April @ Angel's Homestead on November 25, 2013 at 5:35 pm

Your salad looks so crisp and tasty, and your photos are beautiful. Great job. :)

• JJ on November 25, 2013 at 11:16 pm

Thanks April

4. Deepa @onesmallpot on November 25, 2013 at 8:52 pm

Ohhhh this has summer written all over it! Lovely, simple salad and nice pics!

5. Paula @ Vintage Kitchen Notes on November 25, 2013 at 11:00 pm

I bake some scandinavian recipes, but this is a great take on brunch! So fresh and vibrant, love the whole set up!

6. Traci on November 26, 2013 at 12:17 am

What a great pick this month! This is the perfect side dish. I love the combination.

7. Christine on November 26, 2013 at 1:08 am

I love this salad! It’s probably one of the favorite things I’ve made thus far for SRC, so I’m glad that you liked it!

I am also a fan of Scandinavian breakfas t spreads (“smorgasbord”, if you will) as it’s so tasty and not sugar based. My husband holds the breakfasts we had on our trip to Sweden a few years ago on a pedestal because he liked them so much!

8. SeattleDee on November 26, 2013 at 3:05 am

We eat a lot of cucumber salad, but this is a new (and tasty) Scandinavian twist. I can’t wait to try it – in a Scandinavian brunch, of course. Great SRC post.

9. Tara on November 26, 2013 at 3:16 am

Beautiful photos! I love cucumber salads.

10. Nicole (@hapatite) on November 26, 2013 at 7:26 am

This looks so fresh and healthy with the bread and eggs!

11. Melissa on November 26, 2013 at 9:38 am

This sounds absolutely delicious! Great pick this month :)

12. Amanda@ChewTown on November 26, 2013 at 12:18 pm

I do love the sound of this cucumber salad. Bizarrely, I didn’t really eat cucumber till later in life (I know its weird), but now I can’t get enough.

13. Karen @ Karen's Kitchen Stories on November 26, 2013 at 2:44 pm

Such beautiful photographs of this delicious looking salad. Everything about it looks delicious.

14. milkteaxx on November 27, 2013 at 12:09 am

im goign thru a cucumber phase, love it in salads and slightly flavoured! this looks amazing!

15. SallyBR on November 27, 2013 at 1:38 am

I have zero experience with Scandinavian food, so your post is a nice way to learn something about it.

Don’t even tell me about computer troubles, my MacBook Pro died (only 9 months old) and I am facing the harsh fact that I lost 1,500 photos with it. Such is life!

16. The Wimpy Vegetarian on November 27, 2013 at 8:15 am

What a gorgeous photo!! And it looks so refreshing, and perfect sustenance after a long trip.

17. Helen (Grab Your Fork) on November 28, 2013 at 12:03 am

This looks lovely and light. And I adore that blue bowl too – so pretty!

18. kirstin on November 28, 2013 at 5:35 am

Yum! Sounds good!!

19. bakingaddict on December 1, 2013 at 11:26 am

Sounds really refreshing and reminiscent of summer! Great SRC pick!

20. suja md on December 16, 2013 at 3:58 am

Wow!! loved your cucumber salad!! looking so good!!

21. [...] very similar. You can use the location finder online or buy them at Whole Foods!4. Bookmarking: Swedish Cucumber Salad. Great detox meal!5. GIFs: I’ve been laughing so hard at these. You know how the gym is crazy [...]