A Spaghetti Squash – more on that later – purchased from the same stand as those tomatillos, steamed up.
A couple of frozen mackerel filets, pan fried.
And the pesto, blended together in the blink of an eye. Fridge surprise lunch at its best.
Rocket, Parsley & Pepita Pesto
Rather than letting yet another couple bunches of herbs and green onions die in the crisper I tossed them all in a chopper and made lunch. Terribly handy.
- 1 large handful raw pepitas
- 1 handful rocket leaves (arugula)
- 3 large handfuls parsley, flat or curly or both
- 4 scallions (green/spring onions)
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of 1/2 lemon
- glug or 3 of good olive oil
- big pinch sea salt
Toast pepitas in a dry frying pan on medium until golden and just starting to pop, allow to cool.
Use on pasta, fish, sandwiches or even as a dip for chips.
- Use any herbs or bitter greens you have on hand. Basil, coriander (cilantro) and even mint would work well.
- To make more of a sauce use more olive oil and/or a splash of water.
vegan // vegetarian // dairy-free // sugar-free // gluten-free // almost recipe