Almond Croissants – the makeover edition

July 15, 2013

Almond Croissants makeover

I once read in a book that there is no such thing as a coincidence. The story went that when something or someone repeatedly crossed your path there was a cosmic reason behind it.

The author continued on to explain that you should not just dismiss these occurrences as coincidence, but actively pursue them to determine how it could change the path of your life.

Almond Croissants makeover

Of course the people in this book, if I remember correctly, could also see energy and eventually crossed into another astral plane, but that’s neither here nor there at the moment…

Now it’s no secret that I love a bit of mad-scientist recipe development, and that one of my favourite things to do is give a makeover to traditional not-so-healthy desserts. So when I recently asked readers what treats they wished were healthy, the answers immediately started my head spinning and my pencil scribbling.

Almond Croissants makeover

Funny thing is, although I’m not really a croissant person and had never eaten an almond version in my life, one of the comments that stuck out most to me was from Emma saying she missed Almond Croissants.

From that point on I couldn’t stop thinking about them and then, coincidentally – or entirely not coincidentally but cosmically destined, I started noticing Almond Croissants everywhere.

Almond Croissants makeover

About the same time, I was entirely stuck on what to make for the July Sweet Adventures Blog Hop – ‘Sweet Surprise’ theme. I wanted to tackle a Checkerboard or a Pinata Cake, or even a Crookie, but there was no reason to bake a huge cake and absolutely no reason to wrap an oreo in puff pastry.

Almond Croissants makeover

Then it hit me, Almond Croissants have almond cream inside them, how perfect for a ‘sweet surprise inside’ themed dessert. I could make them over, with no dairy, and no refined sugar – or even fructose – and I could eat.them.for.breakfast.

I could hear the French accented cries already, “don’t mess with zee almond croisssssant…“, but as usual I went along my merry mad-science way, final product set firmly in my sights.

Almond Croissants makeover

I love it when a plan comes together – or should I say when the planets align – either way, we had Almond Croissants for breakfast. Oh, one more thing, yesterday morning a few hours after making these I realised it was Bastille Day. Coincidence? I think not.

Sweet Adventures Blog Hop - July Sweet Surprise InsideThis post is part of the July Sweet Adventures Blog Hop – Sweet Surprise – hosted by guest hostess Love Swah.

SABH is a monthly blog hop brought to you by Dining With a Stud, The Capers of the Kitchen Crusader, and me – 84th & 3rd.

Make sure to check out all the other creations that have been linked-up below!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , ,

24 Responses to Almond Croissants – the makeover edition

1. Sarah on July 15, 2013 at 10:26 am

HMMMMMMMMM. I am intrigued! I do love an almond croissant, and I lOve filo, this might be right up my street.

2. Swah on July 15, 2013 at 11:52 am

Croissants… without butter?! Amazing! You know these would kill me but they look absolutely delicious, I wish I could try them!

• JJ on July 15, 2013 at 4:16 pm

haha I thought about that ;D Very adaptable to hazelnut meal…

3. Kyrstie @ A Fresh Legacy on July 15, 2013 at 12:32 pm

How very clever! Nice work JJ. I love the little clip in the recipe too. Croissants are such a decadent treat, making them an everyday food is genius.

• JJ on July 15, 2013 at 4:17 pm

Thanks Krystie – still not quite everyday but a bit less heart-attack-y ;)

4. brenda hayes on July 15, 2013 at 12:37 pm

Ummm,do they taste like the things Ro used to make for breakfast years ago?

• JJ on July 15, 2013 at 4:18 pm

No actually, but you’d think they would! I need to find that recipe in September…

5. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on July 15, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Beautiful croissants, I love the almond cream filling!

6. Tania @ The Cook's Pyjamas on July 15, 2013 at 2:05 pm

I am quite partial to almond croissants but always find them very rich. Clever you for working out an alternative.

7. Tina @ bitemeshowme on July 15, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Now this is VERY clever! Love your thinking JJ!

8. Chris on July 15, 2013 at 4:19 pm

Luvly! Oui, I would love an almond croissant or even two. I think everyone should do some mad-scientist recipe developing from time to time.

9. Claire @ Claire K Creations on July 15, 2013 at 5:49 pm

JJ strikes again. These sound amazing! I love how fluffy they look too. You’re a genius!

• JJ on July 15, 2013 at 9:56 pm

haha aw shucks Claire ;D

10. Lizzy (Good Things) on July 15, 2013 at 6:19 pm

Interesting. I bet these tasted great!

11. thelittleloaf on July 15, 2013 at 9:29 pm

A croissant makeover is inspired! Just one question – does the filo pastry have butter in it, or do you use one made with vegetable/coconut oil?

• JJ on July 15, 2013 at 9:55 pm

While puff pastry usually has butter most filo is only flour/water or sometimes a bit of oil – the one I use says sunflower oil the package, there is very little fat in it. :)

12. Simon @ the heart of food on July 15, 2013 at 10:05 pm

Interesting recipe. Certainly easier than making croissants from scratch. Nice work with the animated gif too. Very instructional :)

13. My Kitchen Stories on July 15, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I would have to agree JJ. I think things are quite often cosmically planned. I hope you enjoyed your breakfast you tease!

14. Helen (Grab Your Fork) on July 16, 2013 at 12:09 am

I love almond croissants – this has only given me cravings!

15. Emma on July 17, 2013 at 9:08 am

They look AMAZING! Thanks so much for following up on my suggestion (and for the mention). I’m going to have to try these beauties, I’m sure I can do something for the 1 egg. Glad I could be of inspiration :)

16. GourmetGetaways on July 17, 2013 at 11:37 am

Oh YUM!!
    he planets have aligned in a most delicious way!
    I love almond croissants but a healthy version would be very much welcomed :)

17. Cookingly Yours on July 18, 2013 at 4:57 am

croissants without butter? and not milk in cream filling? very interesting. wiht what can I substitute ‘rice syrup’? no idead what it is. thanks for the great recipe.

18. Nami | Just One Cookbook on July 18, 2013 at 11:07 am

Hi JJ! I love this simple croissants using filo pastry! I’ve never made it before and am excited to give this a try. I like the sound of orange syrup and almond cream filling combination – fancy yet easy to make. Can’t wait to try!

19. Sara @bellyrumbles on July 26, 2013 at 12:05 am

I love what you have done here, and I would happily devour a ton of them. They are healthy right? :p

But my inner Frenchie says… “don’t mess with zee almond croisssssant…“ :p