White Winter Soup

July 4, 2013

Winter White Soup

The good news is I don’t have pleurisy.

While the thought lives just fine on it’s own as a daily positive affirmation statement it may be best if explain a bit further…

First some background, I am not a fan of doctors [sorry doctors], hospitals freak me out and I am not one prone to hypochondria. The last time I was in a hospital was 11-ish years ago and in general I am one of those people who will soak gushing kitchen injuries in salt water and bandage with a tight band-aid before ever considering stitches.

Winter White Soup

In any case, I recently ended up with some chest pain that came out of the blue – no odd movements or strenuous exercise just bam, pain every time I took a breath. Crap.

After about 36 hours I figured it probably wasn’t indigestion [yes, 36 hours, see previous note about doctors and hospitals] and it was about this time it went from uncomfortable while breathing to spreading down my arm. So as any responsible person does I consulted Dr. Google.

Chest pain on breathing + tiredness + sore throat + aching muscles = pleurisy. Pay no mind to the fact that no one is afflicted by this particular ailment any more, I was obviously the exception.

Winter White Soup

I rang a girlfriend who is a nurse and jokingly told her my diagnosis. RJ gave me an “I told you so” look when she stated it most certainly was not pleursy but that I did need to go to the ER. Double crap.

Off we went and I must say that with all the hospital issues going on in Sydney right now we were more than impressed with Royal North Shore. Everyone we came across was efficient and friendly, and while the speed with which they got to me may have been due to presenting as a young-ish, reasonably fit woman with chest pains, I recon the lack of makeup exposing brilliantly haggard dark circles under my eyes didn’t hurt either.

Blah blah blah cut to the end and all is well. No heart condition, no clots, no indication of anything other than some muscular-skeletal issue that managed to sort itself out the very next day. I didn’t ask about the pleurisy.

Winter White Soup

So what does this have to do with soup? Absolutely nothing. Not even a tenuous link. It happens sometimes.

In other news I think I need to work on my daily affirmations but until I find a new one, the good news is I don’t have pleurisy.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to White Winter Soup

1. Sarah | The Sugar Hit on July 4, 2013 at 2:30 pm

“So glad to hear you don’t have pleurisy!” is up there for the top 10 things I never thought I would comment on someone’s food blog, but it’s true nonetheless!

• JJ on July 5, 2013 at 9:17 pm

hahaha I felt the same way typing it ;D

2. Eha on July 4, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Thanks: how did you know exactly what had to be used up first in MY crisper. My printer is going at the moment and I know what my next lunch will be! Methinks I am going to like it too, never having put fennel into a soup like this!! Now I studied medicine the whole six years at Sydney Uni, but these days I SO agree with you about keeping away from both the dears and hospitals. Haven’t been as lucky as you and am in a somewhat similar situation at the moment: and mine ain’t muscle probs. Thanks for the recipe and hope your scenario does not recur :) !

• JJ on July 5, 2013 at 9:18 pm

Oh good! I hope you find a solution to your situation soon. xx

3. Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul on July 4, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Glad to hear you’re ok! Pleurisy???? (I had to look that one up!). Love the soup JJ…nice and simple and one to add to the weeknight meal.

4. Lisa the Gourmet Wog on July 4, 2013 at 5:12 pm

No Pleurisy! Yay! I must say, RNSH has been fabulous of late. I had my daughter there, public, and I couldn’t fault them.
    Your soup is exactly what the doctor ordered. Thanks for posting!

• JJ on July 5, 2013 at 9:19 pm

My thoughts exactly – yay! Yeah, for an ER they were really good.

5. Aga @ a matter of taste on July 4, 2013 at 6:11 pm

Glad you’re ok! And the soup looks yum, will have to try this one on the weekend.

• JJ on July 5, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Thanks Aga :)

6. Mel @ The cook's notebook on July 4, 2013 at 6:18 pm

oh I share your freak-out-state of hospitals – my last visit as a patient was when I was 5. Very glad you’re OK. Recipe looks fab. I love it when the dregs of the bottom of the fridge turns out fabulous creations :)

• JJ on July 5, 2013 at 9:25 pm

I’ve been dragging the crisper for soup pretty much every week – makes me feel better about giving veggies another life!

7. Deepa @ onesmallpot on July 4, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Yay for ruling out any medieval (or otherwise) thoracic diseases! Glad you feel better. Soup looks delish. Will definitely try it maybe with some added chilli (can’t help myself, I’m Indian).

• JJ on July 5, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Yes, definitely chilli! I covered it with sriracha sauce ;D

8. Lizzy (Good Things) on July 5, 2013 at 5:56 pm

Glad to hear you are ok! I’ve been battling illness of some kind for the last two months and we’ve been investigating everything from a double whammy of pneumonia to cancer to god knows what! Still investigating. Wish me luck!
    Love your recipe.

• JJ on July 5, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Thanks Lizzy, oh I hope you work it out soon, sending you a virtual bowl of soup. xx

9. Claire @ Claire K Creations on July 5, 2013 at 7:32 pm

Well that is good news JJ. When I had a kidney infection 8 years ago the doctor thought I had pleuracy so it’s not totally dead!

• JJ on July 5, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Hey, that means you can use my ‘The good news is I don’t have pleurisy’ mantra too ;D

10. Anna on July 13, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Oh wow. I’m glad you’re OK and everything is well. And you don’t have pleurisy (I had to Google that one). If it helps try Oprah and Deepak’s perfect health 21-day meditation. I had a similar episode a year ago (chest pain, numbness of fingers, cold sweats etc) and a panic attack. It turned out to be reflux. After that I needed positive affirmations and the daily mediation helped me somehow. Take care love! xx

11. [...] Winter Soup via 84thand3rd.com  //  Carrot & Parsnip Soup via inspiringtheeveryday.com  // Butternut Squash, Celeriac, [...]