Crunchy French Toast

June 17, 2013

Crunchy French Toast

His magical words fought through the fog of my groggy travel brain, “I found a place for brunch, they are famous for something called Crunchy French Toast, you should probably get up…”

It was the last morning of our huge adventure holiday and at the end of that day was a 14-hour flight home, followed by a return to real life, a hard look at what I wanted to do with myself, and a taco/ice cream/pie belly to shed if my jeans were to ever fit again.

Brunch sounded like the perfect distraction.

Our overweight bags were once more puzzle-packed into the rental car and we headed out for a day of exploring in LA. Blu Jam Cafe on Melrose was the first stop, and it was all the internet promised it would be.

Crunchy French Toast

We ordered far too much food and stayed far too long – but when you have nowhere to be you may as well chat to the owner, and sip on one more cup of tea, and nibble on another bite of food, and do a bit more eavesdropping on the humble-bragging actor at the next table.

Never heard of a humble brag? In the case of said celeb to her struggling-non-famous-film-maker friends it went something like this … “Oh you don’t want to be invited to all these things anyway, it’s exhausting getting all dressed up and partying all night long, I have a huge hangover, ugh, such a tough life.”

Oh LA you are so… well, so LA.

Crunchy French Toast

I really should do a proper post about the cafe and the rest of our feast, and I may get to it some day, but for now a big serving of sweet egg-y brioche, velvety and almost custard-like, inside a crisp and crunchy coating.

As soon as we choose ‘Out of the Frying Pan’ for this month’s Sweet Adventures Blog Hop theme I knew this was the perfect opportunity to finally share this recipe – although I do wish I had time to make and photograph it again… the bread should have been a bit lighter, it rose a bit too much and fell and the shape is all wrong, the photos just aren’t right, the final product looks more like chicken cutlets than french toast.

But sometimes you have to go with what you have, and although not perfectly picturesque it is perfectly delectable. And so worth getting out of bed for.

Crunchy French Toast

Crunchy French Toast

Sweet Adventures June - Out of the Frying PanThis post is part of the June Sweet Adventures Blog Hop – Out of the Frying Pan – hosted by Capers of the Kitchen Crusader.

SABH is a monthly blog hop brought to you by your hostesses – Dining With a Stud, The Capers of the Kitchen Crusader, and me – 84th & 3rd.

Make sure to check out all the other frozen creations that have been linked-up below!

Tags: , , , , , , , , ,

19 Responses to Crunchy French Toast

1. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on June 17, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I love the crunchy coating, what a scrumptious idea!

2. Heather on June 17, 2013 at 3:03 pm

This looks beautiful. I recently discovered Aki Kamozawa and Alex Talbot’s recipe for no knead brioche and it is amazingly simple. I need to send it to you so you can make the brioche too… Their book/blog Ideas in Food and Why They Work is still one of the best cooking guides I’ve encountered. It truly is food science.

• JJ on June 18, 2013 at 11:20 am

Thanks Heather – I’d LOVE that recipe!! Will keep an eye out for the book too, thanks

• Heather on June 18, 2013 at 1:20 pm

nada problem, will send it through in a coupla weeks time… after the madness. ;)

3. Swah on June 17, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I love this idea! I would love to smother it in maple syrup, berries and cream :D (defeating the vegan-purpose of it but anyhoo!)

• JJ on June 18, 2013 at 11:21 am

Haha there are eggs in it so cream only defeats the dairy free part ;D

4. Christine @ Cooking Crusade on June 17, 2013 at 11:08 pm

I’ve never seen crunchy French toast before, what a fab idea JJ!

5. leaf (the indolent cook) on June 17, 2013 at 11:49 pm

Looking the title I was expecting crunchy, but not this crunchy! That looks fantastic!

• JJ on June 18, 2013 at 11:21 am

Right?! It is a brilliant little treat

6. Tina @ bitemeshowme on June 18, 2013 at 8:53 am

What an amazing idea. Love being able to use corn flakes for more purposes than just having it for breakky :P

• JJ on June 18, 2013 at 11:22 am

Thanks, we never eat corn flakes but have a box just for this recipe ;D

7. My Kitchen Stories on June 18, 2013 at 5:38 pm

OMG an evil and stunning idea. Why has anyone not made this for me. A true frypan gem

8. Nic@diningwithastud on June 19, 2013 at 8:47 am

Wow this is a heart stopping breakfast dessert :o I’d love to try the crunchy coating!

9. Nic on June 19, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Interesting, I wouldn’t normally eat French toast but these look delicious!

10. Sara @bellyrumbles on June 20, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I am a very big fan of French toast. Love your crunchy coating take on a classic, delicious.

11. Lisa the Gourmet Wog on June 20, 2013 at 11:44 pm

WOW this is the breakfast that has it all!! Eggs, toast and cereal too! YUM

12. Monica on June 21, 2013 at 1:46 pm

It all looks pretty good to me! Definitely no need to re-shoot though I imagine remaking this and getting to eat it all over again wouldn’t be a bad thing either.

13. GourmetGetaways on June 23, 2013 at 7:18 pm

i really do have to try this dish!! I can’t imagine how good the corflakes and the coconut milk would taste!! So delicious!
    I have finally put up my SABH and hope to continue each month with you.

14. brenda hayes on June 29, 2013 at 1:02 pm

Yum, will you make that in September?