Vegetarian Black Bean Chili

May 27, 2013

Weeknight Vegetarian Chili

I’ve been part of the Secret Recipe Club for a couple months now and one thing I’m really enjoying, aside from discovering new blogs, is actually making the things I find instead of simply filing them away for later. What a novel concept.

I get inspiration for recipes everywhere I look, and I’m constantly pinning things to make one day, but SRC has meant that at least once a month I make a new dish from a new blog.

Weeknight Vegetarian Chili

This month I was assigned to Fried Ice and Donut Holes. A passionate cook, Melissa uses her blog as a bit of an online recipe box to keep track of the recipes she tries. I have to say, any blog that has nearly 100 recipes in the vegetarian category is a winner in my book!

Not only am I a big fan of one-pot meals but the recent drop in temperature here in Sydney has me craving hearty stews and soups. Vegetarian Black Bean Chili, eaten while rugged up in ugg boots and one of my ancient cashmere jumpers, is exactly what I need right now.

Weeknight Vegetarian Chili

Oh, and keeping with the Mexican theme, a jug of Melissa’s spicy-sweet Mango Jalapeno Margaritas may well be the perfect thing to use up some of the summer mango in my freezer – but we’ll leave that one for another day…

Tags: , , , , , , , , , ,

22 Responses to Vegetarian Black Bean Chili

1. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on May 27, 2013 at 2:33 pm

I love vegetarian chili, this sounds so tasty with all the spices!

2. Susan on May 27, 2013 at 3:21 pm

This sounds delicious! I’m always looking for new vegetarian recipes and I think my family would love this. Great pick for SRC!

3. Claire @ Claire K Creations on May 27, 2013 at 5:21 pm

Oh my this looks so lovely and rich and warming (she says sitting with the heater by her feet). I think I could even get this one past my meat-loving husband.

• JJ on May 27, 2013 at 10:39 pm

Cheers Claire! With all the spices it is really hearty, serve it up with a big dollop of natural yoghurt and don’t even mention it’s vego ;D

4. Melissa on May 27, 2013 at 10:16 pm

I’m glad you enjoyed this chili recipe. Your pictures are so beautiful!! And yes, please make those mango jalapeƱo margaritas. You will be so glad you did! :) Happy reveal day!

5. shari brooks on May 27, 2013 at 10:26 pm

love this recipe. I’m going to earmark this! Thanks for sharing and great choice. Fellow Group D member

6. Karen on May 27, 2013 at 11:43 pm

A FABULOUS SRC pick and as always, lovely images too! I eat veggie quite often and I have bookmarked this recipe for the future! Karen from Group D and Lavender and Lovage

7. Emily @ Life on Food on May 28, 2013 at 1:05 am

I will have to check out this blog whenever I need a good vegetarian dish. That is a ton of recipes. This looks like a marvelous chili.

8. kirstin on May 28, 2013 at 2:35 am

YUM! I just made veggie chili this weekend and it was yummy! I make it this way more often than with meat. I’m glad you said what “red capsicum” was because I just saw it on another SRC blog and had no idea what it was :)

9. Sarah E on May 28, 2013 at 4:58 am

I love black beans in chili! :) Happy Reveal Day.

10. Asiya @ Chocolate and Chillies on May 28, 2013 at 7:27 am

PIctures are gorgeous!! Temperatures have dropped here in Toronto..we actually wore winter coats last week! This stew sounds perfect right about now…great SRC pick!

11. Rebekah @ Making Miracles on May 28, 2013 at 8:10 am

Yumm! This looks like such a great, hearty, fresh meal! Great SRC pick!

12. nicole @ I am a Honey Bee on May 28, 2013 at 10:03 am

your photos are beautiful. makes me want a bowl!

13. Kelsey @ K&K Test Kitchen on May 28, 2013 at 12:04 pm

I want to dive right into that bowl of chili! Looks great. Lovely choice for SRC!

14. Sara @bellyrumbles on May 30, 2013 at 10:09 pm

Chili is just perfect for winter. Vegetarian? Yep, I would give this one a go.

15. amy @ fearless homemaker on May 30, 2013 at 10:26 pm

Oh, yum! I love vegetarian chili, even though I’m no longer a vegetarian, and yours looks SO good. I could even go for some right now for breakfast! =)

16. bakingaddict on May 31, 2013 at 8:33 am

I love vegetarian chili and tend to make them at home as I rarely cook meat. This looks delicious! One pot recipes are definite winners in my book. Great SRC pick!

17. Christina @ The Hungry Australian on May 31, 2013 at 11:31 pm

This chilli looks absolutely sensational, JJ. Love the fiery red colour of it – just the thing to cheer you up on a cold Winter’s day.

18. milkteaxx on June 3, 2013 at 10:33 am

this is the perfect winter dish!

19. Nic@diningwithastud on June 13, 2013 at 9:21 am

OMG this looks SO good! I made Jamie Olivers Chilli a few nights ago. Stud loved it! Will have to give this one a try

20. Marie Rios on June 17, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I tend to stay away from canned, so if you use bulk black beans, soak them, how much do you use for this chili recipe?

• JJ on June 17, 2013 at 11:03 pm

Hi Marie, I only use Eden Organic canned ones as they are BPA free but if you have dried by all means use them! A can of beans is about 3/4 c so you’ll need 1 1/2 c total (soaked and simmered) not sure how that will translate to dry, maybe 1 c?