Vegetarian Black Bean Chili

Weeknight Vegetarian Chili

I’ve been part of the Secret Recipe Club for a couple months now and one thing I’m really enjoying, aside from discovering new blogs, is actually making the things I find instead of simply filing them away for later. What a novel concept.

I get inspiration for recipes everywhere I look, and I’m constantly pinning things to make one day, but SRC has meant that at least once a month I make a new dish from a new blog.

Weeknight Vegetarian Chili

This month I was assigned to Fried Ice and Donut Holes. A passionate cook, Melissa uses her blog as a bit of an online recipe box to keep track of the recipes she tries. I have to say, any blog that has nearly 100 recipes in the vegetarian category is a winner in my book!

Not only am I a big fan of one-pot meals but the recent drop in temperature here in Sydney has me craving hearty stews and soups. Vegetarian Black Bean Chili, eaten while rugged up in ugg boots and one of my ancient cashmere jumpers, is exactly what I need right now.

Weeknight Vegetarian Chili

Oh, and keeping with the Mexican theme, a jug of Melissa’s spicy-sweet Mango Jalapeno Margaritas may well be the perfect thing to use up some of the summer mango in my freezer – but we’ll leave that one for another day…

Comments

1. says

This sounds delicious! I’m always looking for new vegetarian recipes and I think my family would love this. Great pick for SRC!

• JJ says

Cheers Claire! With all the spices it is really hearty, serve it up with a big dollop of natural yoghurt and don’t even mention it’s vego ;D

2. says

I’m glad you enjoyed this chili recipe. Your pictures are so beautiful!! And yes, please make those mango jalapeƱo margaritas. You will be so glad you did! :) Happy reveal day!

3. says

A FABULOUS SRC pick and as always, lovely images too! I eat veggie quite often and I have bookmarked this recipe for the future! Karen from Group D and Lavender and Lovage

4. says

YUM! I just made veggie chili this weekend and it was yummy! I make it this way more often than with meat. I’m glad you said what “red capsicum” was because I just saw it on another SRC blog and had no idea what it was :)

5. says

I love vegetarian chili and tend to make them at home as I rarely cook meat. This looks delicious! One pot recipes are definite winners in my book. Great SRC pick!

6. Marie Rios says

I tend to stay away from canned, so if you use bulk black beans, soak them, how much do you use for this chili recipe?

• JJ says

Hi Marie, I only use Eden Organic canned ones as they are BPA free but if you have dried by all means use them! A can of beans is about 3/4 c so you’ll need 1 1/2 c total (soaked and simmered) not sure how that will translate to dry, maybe 1 c?