100+ alternatives to PB&J

February 11, 2013

100+ alternatives to pb&j

Whether you grew up eating peanut butter & grape jelly every day at school or have never tried the combination, the concept of pairing fruit and nuts is a classic one.

• But what if you don’t eat peanuts – or can’t send them to school with your child?
  • What if you’re off refined sugar – or live somewhere that doesn’t have grape jelly?
  • What if you simply want a change?

You’re in luck, as there are endless ways to combine seed or nut butters with fruit or fruit spreads – and while National PB&J Day doesn’t roll around until 2 April, the ideas below provide variety as well as low-sugar and allergy friendly twists on pb&j today!

Below the choose your own PB&J adventure Infographic I’ve listed a few of my top go-to combinations, as well as my favourite fruits or spreads to pair with each butter. Of course you can always mix & match any way you wish!

100+ alternatives to pb&j

My 15 favourite combinations in no particular order

Served straight up (or with a little extra something):

1. peanut butter & grape jelly… the classic
  2. peanut butter & apple sauce
  3. tahini & mashed banana
  4. macadamia butter & cherry jam
  5. sunflower butter & apricot preserves
  6. sunflower butter & mango puree (+ a squeeze of lime)
  7. tahini & crushed raspberries (+ a drizzle of coconut milk or coconut butter)
  8. tahini & smushed pear (+ a dusting of ginger)
  9. almond butter & sliced apples (+ a dash of cinnamon)
  10. almond butter & mashed banana (+ a dusting of cinnamon)
  11. cashew butter & smashed strawberries (+ a sprinkle of cardamom)
  12. cashew butter & chopped peaches (+ fresh grated ginger)
  13. coconut butter & sliced pineapple (+ torn mint)
  14. walnut butter & fresh figs (+ crumbled goat cheese)
  15. hazelnut butter & quince paste (+ shaved parmesean)

What can I pair with…

100+ alternatives to PB&Jalmond butter?

sliced apples :: apricot preserves :: grape jelly

smushed pear :: orange marmalade :: fresh figs

cherry jam :: mashed banana :: apricot preserves

100+ alternatives to PB&Jsunflower butter?

smashed strawberries :: sliced apples :: smushed pear :: mashed banana

100+ alternatives to PB&Jtahini

sliced apples :: grape jelly :: smushed pear :: fresh figs :: cherry jam

orange marmalade :: apple sauce :: chopped peaches :: mashed banana

crushed blueberries :: crushed raspberries :: apricot preserves

My personal favourite…

100+ alternatives to pb&j

So tell me, what are your favourite go to combinations and do you swear by something that hasn’t been included here?

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

24 Responses to 100+ alternatives to PB&J

1. Sarah on February 11, 2013 at 10:00 am

Good lord. I can’t express to you how much I love sandwiches, and the humble pb&j is no exception. Great graphic!

2. ATasteOfMadness on February 11, 2013 at 10:08 am

This is awesome! When I didn’t think anything could top a good pb&j, in comes competition. I am excited to try some of these

• JJ on February 11, 2013 at 11:54 pm

Haha, would love to know what ends up as your fave!

3. Christine @ Cooking Crusade on February 11, 2013 at 10:22 am

omg this is amazing JJ! soooo many amazing combinations! what about your amazing chocolate macadamia butter + strawberries? yummmmmmmm!

• JJ on February 11, 2013 at 11:53 pm

Thanks! It made me hungry writing them all down ;D I purposely left out chocolate spreads but you are right, choc macadamia (or hazelnut) butter with strawberries is soooo good.

4. Claire @ Claire K Creations on February 11, 2013 at 12:19 pm

This is so very coincidental JJ. Just this morning my sister was going on about how good tahini and banana were together. It was totally out of nowhere too. She also recommends tahini and honey!

• JJ on February 11, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Too funny! Yum, tahini and banana is delicious :)

5. Marie on February 11, 2013 at 12:42 pm

JJ you are an absolute machine. This is some serious post. LOVE IT.
    Pinterested it it already. ;)

6. vegeTARAian on February 11, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Tahini and raspberries sounds divine! Can’t wait to give it a try

7. leaf (the indolent cook) on February 11, 2013 at 4:32 pm

So much awesomeness in this post! And the crushed raspberries look amazing with the tahini.

• JJ on February 11, 2013 at 11:51 pm

Cheers Leaf, it’s my favourite!

8. Laura on February 11, 2013 at 8:19 pm

great post JJ, bookmarked!!!

9. [...] 100+ PB & J Alternatives. Super Cool! View original source window.fbAsyncInit = function() { FB.init({ appId : '485191891511079', // App ID status : true, // check login status cookie : true, // enable cookies to allow the server to access the session xfbml : true // parse XFBML }); // Additional initialization code here }; // Load the SDK Asynchronously (function(d){ var js, id = 'facebook-jssdk', ref = d.getElementsByTagName('script')[0]; if (d.getElementById(id)) {return;} js = d.createElement('script'); js.id = id; js.async = true; js.src = "//connect.facebook.net/en_US/all.js"; ref.parentNode.insertBefore(js, ref); }(document)) [...]

10. Rachel on February 12, 2013 at 6:11 am

I love it! I am a nut butter sandwich fanatic and people seem to think that has to mean plain ol PB&J! no! I think coconut butter and cinnamon is one of my favorites. Cashew butter and anything sounds wonderful!

11. Kyrstie @ A Fresh Legacy on February 12, 2013 at 9:34 am

You are very clever JJ, love the graphics and the combos I had never really thought about. Will have to give this a go with my kids as it is a brain strain trying to come up with new sandwich combos some days :)

12. Laura (Tutti Dolci) on February 12, 2013 at 4:26 pm

I love your infographic, too fun! What delicious combinations!

13. Rishi on February 13, 2013 at 8:10 am

You should also consider Soy butter. i have a nut allergy and soy butter is a great nutty tasting butter. I like the one with honey as it offers just a little sweetness.

• JJ on February 13, 2013 at 10:45 pm

Hi Rishi, I don’t eat soy so it never even occurred to me – thanks for the note!

14. Tina @foodfortina on February 13, 2013 at 9:11 am

Delicious!!! Bookmarked this page! :)

15. GourmetGetaways on February 13, 2013 at 11:11 am

Yum!
    So many different combinations!! I will have to try some new ones :)
    Thanks for sharing

16. Hannah on February 13, 2013 at 10:08 pm

I love this – I’m not a peanut butter fan (I know, stone me) so I’ve always tried other stuff like this, mainly almond and cashew butter, but I LOVE the macadamia&cherry combo! Slightly tangential to the fruit plus nut formula, “cheesecake” sandwiches are incredible, where you put philly cheese on one slice and lemon curd or some kind of jam on the other… :D

• JJ on February 13, 2013 at 10:48 pm

I think I may need to do an entirely different infographic for cheese! Cream cheese and lemon curd sounds divine – I’m a fan of goats cheese and figs ;)

17. brenda hayes on February 15, 2013 at 3:04 pm

Wow, terrific post!!

18. Sara @bellyrumbles on February 20, 2013 at 11:47 pm

Oh JJ this is way too cool for words, love it!