Custard Apple Lassi

October 11, 2012

12-06-01_CustardAppleLassi

Remember all those Custard Apples I got a while back? Well I’m working through the alarmingly decreasing supply in my freezer and this is the latest incarnation. Lassis are traditionally made from mango, but pairing the luscious custard apple flesh with cardamom and yogurt was one of the first things that came to mind, so I went with it.

12-06-01_CustardAppleLassi

The fruit purees much like mango – creamy and sweet – so it just made sense. Because I like really thick smoothies I used the fruit frozen rather than fresh or thawed. It was perfect on it’s own for breakfast [or dessert] but would have gone a treat with a spicy curry for lunch.

12-06-01_CustardAppleLassi

~~~

Custard Apple Lassi

INGREDIENTS:

• 1 cup natural yoghurt
  • 1 cup custard apple flesh, frozen
  • 1/2 tsp cardamom or more/less to taste
  • Chopped pistachios plus extra cardamom, to garnish

METHOD:

Place all ingredients except pistachios into a blender. Blend. Pour into glasses.

Garnish with chopped pistachios and extra cardamom.

Serves 2.

*NOTES:

• To freeze custard apple I spread the flesh out on a tray lined with baking paper. It is easy to cut into wedges and store in a freezer bag. You could also freeze it in ice cube trays.
  • Want to know more about custard apples? Here’s something I prepared earlier.

~~~

12-06-01_CustardAppleLassi

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Responses to Custard Apple Lassi

1. Christine @ Cooking Crusade on October 11, 2012 at 10:09 pm

What a great idea. I’ve loved custard apples since I was a child but I had no idea you could freeze them… or I could put them in smoothies – genius!

2. Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy on October 12, 2012 at 10:37 am

Yum! I think you have sold me on custard apples :) this is on my list for summer drinking for sure.

3. Akazuki japan on October 20, 2012 at 1:57 am

Your pictures are really nice! Thanks for sharing this original recipe, looks like so good! I will try this when I will have a minute !

4. Kirsten (Miss Foodie) on October 31, 2012 at 2:00 pm

Yummo!!! I too didn’t realise you could freeze custard apples!! I’ll have to give this a go for sure – thanks :)

5. S on November 17, 2012 at 2:44 am

Hi, traditionally lassi is just thick curds and sugar and maybe cardamom, mango is not essential but probably is the most common fruit to be used in fruit lassis.

6. mustardseed on December 4, 2012 at 2:02 pm

This must be so delicious! Fabulous idea!

7. Katherine Martinelli on January 23, 2013 at 9:34 am

This is brilliant!! Love custard apples and don’t know that I’ve ever seen a recipe that uses them. Yum.