Remember all those Custard Apples I got a while back? Well I’m working through the alarmingly decreasing supply in my freezer and this is the latest incarnation. Lassis are traditionally made from mango, but pairing the luscious custard apple flesh with cardamom and yogurt was one of the first things that came to mind, so I went with it.
The fruit purees much like mango – creamy and sweet – so it just made sense. Because I like really thick smoothies I used the fruit frozen rather than fresh or thawed. It was perfect on it’s own for breakfast [or dessert] but would have gone a treat with a spicy curry for lunch.
Custard Apple Lassi
- 1 cup natural yoghurt
- 1 cup custard apple flesh, frozen
- 1/2 tsp cardamom or more/less to taste
- Chopped pistachios plus extra cardamom, to garnish
Place all ingredients except pistachios into a blender. Blend. Pour into glasses.
Garnish with chopped pistachios and extra cardamom.
- To freeze custard apple I spread the flesh out on a tray lined with baking paper. It is easy to cut into wedges and store in a freezer bag. You could also freeze it in ice cube trays.
- Want to know more about custard apples? Here’s something I prepared earlier.