Custard Apple, Lime & Mint Mojito Sorbet

June 6, 2012

12-06-01_CustardAppleSorbet

In Sydney, winter is officially here, and it is cold. Sleeping in jumpers, two blankets on the bed, heater on in the lounge room, cold. Last night the city nearly blew away. It is Custard Apple season – it is not ice cream season.

In America-land, summer is just beginning and ice cream abounds. It is ice cream season – it not Custard Apple season.

This recipe is fair to no one, it is however delicious and as such I am sitting on the lounge, covered in a blanket and next to the heater, eating Custard Apple sorbet. I win.

12-06-01_CustardAppleSorbet

The other day I shared my recent life changing [yeah, yeah, prone to dramatics today] experience with Custard Apples and a bit of a non-recipe. But with stacks of the frozen pulp in the freezer something had to be done. Being a big fan of easy ice cream and simple sorbet I decided this fruit would meet the same fate of those that had come before… enter the immersion blender.

12-06-01_CustardAppleSorbet

Completely at odds with the season in which it appears, the Custard Apple matches brilliantly with fresh summer inspired flavours such as lime and mint – so who am I to fight fate. Lime, mint and a touch of ginger it would be. The texture of the Custard Apple when frozen and then blended is unbelievable – amazingly creamy and smooth. Even when frozen for days it scoops almost immediately rather then having to sit out like most handmade ice creams.

As a side note, while I am currently eating this all rugged up in front of a heater in winter, a scoop dropped into a tall glass of vodka or white rum and club soda [seltzer] while sitting at a beach, would be a brilliant twist on a Mojito – you’re welcome.

12-06-01_CustardAppleSorbet
~~~

Custard Apple, Lime & Mint Sorbet

Ingredients:

• 1 very ripe custard apple, peeled, seeded and frozen
  • 1 – 2 tsp fresh lime juice, using more/less to taste
  • small handful fresh mint leaves
  • 1 tsp fresh ginger, grated

Method:

Place all ingredients into a processor or the jug of an immersion blender. Blend until very smooth and all mint leaves are distributed through.

Eat immediately or place in a container and freeze – stirring occasionally for the first hour or two.

Make a drink, put your feet up and read a magazine. Emerge later and pretend you spent hours slaving in the kitchen.

Bonus round:

In a tall glass, pour a shot of vodka or white rum over ice. Top with club soda/seltzer/mineral water and a scoop of sorbet. Garnish with mint.

~~~
12-06-01_CustardAppleSorbet

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

12 Responses to Custard Apple, Lime & Mint Mojito Sorbet

1. Anna @The Littlest Anchovy on June 7, 2012 at 11:01 pm

I LOVE this recipe JJ. I would brave the cold for this, and I would totally try the boozy way!

• JJ on June 9, 2012 at 1:14 am

Thanks Anna, it at the very least made me feel summer-y!

2. Jenné @ Sweet Potato Soul on June 8, 2012 at 12:14 am

Oh my! I discovered custard apple last summer when I was in Thailand, and it’s definitely one of my favorite fruits. I bet this sorbet is fantastic, and it seems so easy to make! Thanks for sharing :)

• JJ on June 9, 2012 at 1:13 am

Cheers Jenne – It is as easy as it seems, the trick is just to find ripe fruit!

3. LP @dishclips on June 8, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I didn’t know sour sop was also called custard apple. I love how there are very few ingredients to this sorbet and it looks amazing!

• JJ on June 9, 2012 at 1:13 am

Thanks for the comment, I didn’t even make the connection!

4. Lisa on June 9, 2012 at 9:59 am

I love the look of this! And totally love the sound of the mojito-esque drink by the beach, totally where I need to be right now :)

• JJ on June 10, 2012 at 10:12 pm

Me too – this weather is horrid!

5. brenda on June 9, 2012 at 11:30 am

Looks delicious. But I don’t think i can get to Sydney when it is warm and sunshiny in Western NY. Save some in your freezer for me!!

• JJ on June 10, 2012 at 10:11 pm

haha I definitely will ;)

6. Peter G | Souvlaki For The Soul on June 11, 2012 at 8:15 am

Love the presentation and the thought process behind this JJ! A mojito would be fabulous around about now!

7. theperfectnose on June 17, 2012 at 11:27 pm

Ye gwads awesome! If I manage to find custard apples in Melbourne this’ll be the second thing I make in my new ice cream maker. The first if your vegan choc ice cream XD Thanks for sharing.