Eat Immediately Apple Bircher Muesli

May 3, 2012

12-04-21_Bircher

I might be a little bit obsessed with apples. As much as I love summer fruit – peaches and mangos and plums oh my – I do mourn the brief break in the apple season. Yes, of course you can get them year round in the big chain grocery stores but when stone fruit is ripe for the picking the apple trees are just starting to bloom again… draw your own conclusions…

12-04-21_Bircher

Apple season just launched again here and this will be the first full season Australian growers are using ‘Aussie Apples’ stickers – indicating fruit from local growers rather than imported from various overseas locations. With orchards in every state of Australia there are nearly 10 different types of apples grown right here – including the gorgeous Pink Lady variety that was delivered to my door not so long ago.

12-04-21_Bircher 12-04-21_Bircher

They sat on the dining room table for days just looking at me. There weren’t quite enough for a sky-high apple pie and while baked apples were in serious contention I gave in one morning in a fit of post-yoga quick-breakfast cravings to my old fallback of Eat Immediately Apple Bircher Muesli. Yes, it is May, but as with the March installment we’ll call this the April Porridge Calender centrefold.

12-04-21_Bircher 12-04-21_Bircher

I am not the best at planning ahead for meals. I always have canned beans on hand because they are usually considered for inclusion 10 minutes rather than 8 hours before dinner – so soaking and boiling, while fulfilling to the soul, is not usually feasible for the immediate needs of the belly. In the same way, soaking oats in juice or milk for Bircher Muesli is never thought of the evening before so I was forced years ago to come up with an equally satisfying dish requiring minutes of prep rather than hours.

12-04-21_Bircher

You can top this however you’d like but blueberries and almonds are my current favourite. If you prefer a thinner bircher add some juice or milk and stir through. If you want it sweeter add some honey or maple syrup. Make it your own. And with months of apple season ahead of us that tray of baked apples and a sky-high pie will I’m sure show up at some point – yum. Do you have a favourite apple dish I should try?

12-04-21_Bircher

~~~

Apple Bircher Musli

Ingredients:

• 1 c rolled oats*
  • 1 c natural yoghurt
  • 1 apple – cored and grated, peel on
  • 1 Tbsp ground flax seed
  • 1 tsp cinnamon

To Serve:

• handful fresh or frozen blueberries
  • sliced almonds
  • milk, non-diary milk or apple juice
  • honey, agave, maple or rice syrup if desired

Method:

Stir together ingredients – oats through cinnamon – until well combined.

Top with blueberries and almonds. Serve with milk or juice if you prefer your bircher thin instead of thick, top with a sweetener if desired. Enjoy.

Serves 3-4

*Notes:

• If you are gluten free make sure to find un-contaminated oats

~~~

12-04-21_Bircher

Thanks to Bite Communications and Aussie Apples for the apple delivery.

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

9 Responses to Eat Immediately Apple Bircher Muesli

1. Christina @ The Hungry Australian on May 3, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Yum, this looks delicious, JJ!

2. myfudo on May 4, 2012 at 1:23 pm

Looks delicious…Can’t wait to try!

3. Mia on May 6, 2012 at 3:38 pm

Yum! I love bircher muesli, but never seem to be organised enough to make it. I can’t wait to try this out!

• JJ on May 12, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Me either – necessity and invention ;)

4. Anna @ The Littlest Anchovy on May 9, 2012 at 1:56 pm

I really need to change up my breakfast once in awhile. I have bookmarked this one – I love the combo of apples and blueberries!

5. nic on May 11, 2012 at 4:21 pm

lovely pro-aussie apple write-up and recipe… thankyou from a very passionate aussie apple grower! but please excuse my little tiny bit of nitpicking: while i certainly won’t argue that new season pink ladies are an outstanding centrepiece for any dining table, I hope your readers know that even one or two days in a warm room will start sending your apples soft. The fridge crisper is always best (or cool cellar if you are very pro-environment!) Any apples used at room temp for fruit bowl beautification are afterwards best used for cooking, rather than eating fresh.
    keep up the wonderful pro-home produce work!

• JJ on May 12, 2012 at 9:17 pm

Hi Nic and thanks for sharing – I agree completely! The fact that our appt was freezing made all the difference ;) I usually keep apples in the fridge to make sure they stay nice and crisp. Glad you enjoyed the post.

6. Lizzy (Good Things) on May 12, 2012 at 7:18 pm

Awesome JJ, my favourite breakfast! Delicious. I agree with Nic… apples (and pears) are best in the crisper! Lovely post, thanks for sharing.

7. Peter G | Souvlaki ForThe Soul on May 15, 2012 at 8:54 pm

Delicious recipe JJ. I always have trouble trying to come up with recipes using apples. Bircher is a great way to start the day.